My child is 1.5yr old and denies food and even milk.

My child is 1.5yr old and denies food and even milk. If u give him snacks he will happily eat. Will keeping him hungry and forcing him to drink milk help.... I'm also worried he is very thin. Just 9kgs

Reena372

Asked by Reena372 at 5:42 AM on Dec. 12, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Offer him only healthy foods - at mealtimes and for snacks. Cut up veggies, fresh fruit, cheese, etc. He will eat when he gets hungry. My youngest didn't hit 20 lbs until she was 20 months. Is your sons dr concerned about his weight?

Answer by missanc at 5:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2013

• Forcing food never works ... it just starts a battle for power and that isn't good.

What kind of snacks is he eating? It sounds as if you're being manipulated to give him the food that HE wants :) It's not uncommon. I suggest you restrict the snacks to 2 healthy ones per day and keep them very light. Then you give him meals at regular meal times so that he gets used to it. If he eats, he eats, if he doesn't, he doesn't. He won't let himself starve.

How tall is he? One of my daughters was less than 9kg at that age and measured 75cm so she was perfectly balanced, just on the small side. She's now 11 and has always been in excellent health. The bottom line is that if your doctor is not worried then you need not be either.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 5:58 AM on Dec. 12, 2013

• Snacks are food. Feed child parts of their meal as snacks.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 7:40 AM on Dec. 12, 2013

• What does your child's pediatrician say about this?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:46 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• He will eat when he's hungry. Only feed healthy foods. You're the adult here. Don't think for a second that your child is in charge.

Speak to his doctor about this. He could have a health problem that causes him pain when he eats, therefore he doesn't like a full belly.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:26 PM on Dec. 12, 2013