How do you answer the job interview question "What are your weaknesses?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Dec. 12, 2013 in Money & Work

• I turn it into a positive such as "I have a hard time relaxing until the work is complete and done to the best of my ability."
    maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 9:28 AM on Dec. 12, 2013

• Answer honestly, but try to turn it around into a good thing. Also, if you have more than one weakness, try to only go with the one (or two) that are not as big a deal - so tell them that you're slightly disorganized instead of that when you get mad, you heave desks across the office like the Hulk. lol
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 9:39 AM on Dec. 12, 2013

• ^^^That is EXACTLY Right! Turn it into a positive like "I tend to be a perfectionist & sometimes cannot stop until I complete a task."
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:39 AM on Dec. 12, 2013

• this is hardest question on those things

i have listed perfectionist under positives
    then listed again under negatives

hoping HR will see that i do not think in black and white terms and sometimes a positive can be a drawback depending on situation

i also have listed, "not best speller, thank goodness for spell check"= maybe that was not wise of me to mention this one

but again, these are the hardest of all the questions
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:45 AM on Dec. 12, 2013

• I agree with others, but I also don't do it exactly that way. I'll list a weakness and then give examples of how I'm working on it, and that I believe we all have room to grow and continuing towards growth and education is always important to me.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 12:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• Tell them you tend to be a perfectionist, if that's even remotely true. It will make them think you'll be attentive to details, which is a good thing. *Smile.*
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:34 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• I mention kryptonite and put my cape on.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• I do the same as tntmom. My greatest weakness is that I dislike repeating myself, and that can lead me to being impatient or short with people because I get frustrated and think that they were not paying attention to what I was saying. I am working on this by reminding myself to take a deep breath, there are many reasons a person will need something repeated. It stems from expecting the same amount of effort and attention to detail from everyone that I expect from myself, and not everyone is at that level with me. It is a work in progress :)
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:11 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• I only list the ones that I think will relate to the job I am applying for. I also do not apply for jobs involve areas where I have a major weakness. Example: I do not enjoy answering phones 8 hours per day. If a customer service job requires full time phone duty I am not interested. If sharing phone duties with others in department I would apply and list phone duty as a weakness with explanation about feeling that it is important to have non phone duty time to resolve problems a priority.
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 10:40 AM on Dec. 17, 2013