Can I take my baby our of the hospital ?

My child was premature and she has been in the hospital for 2 weeks. She is prefectly fine and healthy. They still wont release her to me saying they want her to eat her bottle faster. and keep moving her discharge date.

tdk123

Asked by tdk123 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2013 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should do what the Dr.'s recommend. They are the Professionals. They are monitoring the babies health for reasons you may not understand.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• She needs to be able to eat and heat. Those are the primary reasons for keeping them in the hospital. Until she can maintain her body temperature on her own and eat effectively the hospital is where she needs to be.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 2:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• ask them to explain why they are keeping her more clearly. not trying to be rude, but they have a LOT of schooling and experience in baby health...how much do you have? im sure you're eager to get her home and no one likes being at the hospital so much. but you'd hate to take her home and find out she should have stayed longer (ie she gets sick).
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• I have been. But there isn't anything wrong with her, I have 2 other children that were premature as well and they ate the same way. Even my pediatrician says he doesn't understand why the hospital wont release her. And when I am there feeding her they won't let me finish feeding her, they want to put it down a feeding tube. They say she is taking too long. It is no different than with my other two kids and they are great. I am an hour away from the hospital as well. No one listens to me like I have no say about my baby.

tdk123

Comment by tdk123 (original poster) at 2:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• Can you have her transferred to another hosptial...or does the pediatrician have privledges at the hospital. Perhaps calling CPS and telling them your concerns and asking for their help?
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• We have been trying that, but the hospital that is closer is full at this time. I am really upset that they told me once she could maintain her bodyheat, and she was eating at least 30cc's at feeding she could come home. And now they are saying no... she needs to eat it in 20 minutes. My other children were the same way and they are fine and healthy.
    tdk123

Comment by tdk123 (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• Odd. Here the pediatrician would be the person signing the discharge orders. Is your pediatrician not her primary care provider while in the hospital?
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 2:36 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• Ask the pediatrician to come by the hospital and speak with the doctors.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:38 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• Can you? YES.
    SHOULD you? Probably NOT.
    How many years of medical school did you complete?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:39 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• No, since I was a high risk pregnancy, my doctor sent me to a specialist for delivery. And the hospitals doctors are taking care of her there. Once released she will see my chosen pediatrician that my other children go too.
    tdk123

Comment by tdk123 (original poster) at 2:40 PM on Dec. 12, 2013