Do you attend your (or your partner's) company Christmas party?

I've only ever worked in retail until this year, so this is my first year where a Christmas party is actually a thing!

We went to my fiance's company party last year, but it was so far from our house and we ended up waiting for a cab home for two hours at the end of it - in retrospect we should've gotten a hotel room, since it was at a hotel/casino, but I would imagine it would've been fairly pricey at that time of year. We decided not to go this year.

They gave us super short notice for my party - they just put up the flyers for it yesterday, and it's next Friday. It's just at a pub and it's going to cost $85/couple or $45/person. Seems excessive for a pub.

Soooooo I don't think we're going to go.

Are we the only ones not attending our parties?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 4:08 PM on Dec. 12, 2013 in Money & Work

• My husband's company doesn't charge for a party, must be the reason why we are not having one this year. I think if they expect you to pay, you are free to decline, if they are paying you show up for an hour and go home.
    I have never had a company Christmas party, just my husband, we go and eat, and smile, and then take a cab home, I say your party sounds like I would pass, LOL
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 4:16 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• Ours is always late notice too, and I've been booked for parties the last 6 out of 7 years. But if we were free we would probably go.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 4:17 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• No,they hold in in late February,and yeah,it's decorated for Xmas.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:18 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• DH had his last Friday, the only invite I had was to be taxi for the night.
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 4:37 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• We never go to parties or balls. He doesn't like schmoozing and pretending to like his coworkers for a night.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 4:42 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• I've actually never worked for a place that had a company Christmas party. A friend of mine was thrilled because I asked her to drive me to the doctor tomorrow and it got her out of going to her annual party. She didn't want to go because it's so cheap the company won't let the employees bring their spouses, which she says sucks because who wants to go sit their all alone.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• My husbands work has theirs at lunch, so no spouses and I'm a sahm. But when I worked I went and my spouse went with me, and I went with him when his was at night, but I've never heard of them charging for a Christmas party. That's something the company should be providing for employees as a perk!

Answer by missanc at 4:57 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• Thankfully at the company DH works at it's employee only parties.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• Yes we go to both parties, it doesn't cost us anything to go as the company pays for it. Well they pay for the food, and two drinks my party, and the food, and tap or rail drinks at my SO's party. Obviously spouses are invited. Actually, mine is coming up next week on the 19th a stupid Thursday, thankfully I don't have to work on Friday, and SO's is in Jan.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 5:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• No

Answer by louise2 at 5:35 PM on Dec. 12, 2013