Would you go to the school for a tell them off meeting?

My 15 year old is a Fteshman at our local high school. She was listening to music, after the substitute said she could, on a website using the school's computer. The vice principal came into her computer class and gave her two days of detention for an unautjorized site. Typically music is not okay but tge sub said sure. And usually unauthprized sites are blocked. So she did not do anything wrong. Then she could not ride her bus home from school due to detention and she had to wait for me to pick her up. When I came to get her there was no one at her school. Just her. No supervision. It was 6:30 and everyone had left. Would you be in the office letting the vice principal have it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Dec. 12, 2013 in General Parenting

• For leaving my child alone at school, yes.

For her unauthorized use of school property, no. She'd be getting a watered down riot act from me on that one. She blatantly took advantage of a substitute teacher, so she deserves the consequence she got.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 7:28 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• NO, I would call and explain what happened, if your kid knew that music on websites was banned and took advantage of a subsitute teacher's kindness she deserves an in school detention, no one is dying, she took advantage, and it so happened that she found a loophole, big fat deal.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:30 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• She wasn't alone I assume she could leave and you could enter the building? At this age you should think a child could do a few minutes of detention in a classroom alone, give me a break,
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 7:32 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• Yes. I would want to know why she was left alone at school. And why did she get in trouble. If the teacher said it was ok to do what she did.

Answer by louise2 at 7:33 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• The school should not leave students unattended, regardless of age. This time of year it's dark by that time & bad things can happen. If the site was not blocked, then unless it's spelled out in the electronics agreement they make parents & students sign, I would want to know why she was punished for that as well. The school should also inform the subs what sites are acceptable so there won't be confusion when they are in charge. Keep calm, but be stern about your concerns. Also, get out the code of conduct or look it up online so you have something to back you up.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:48 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• No i wouldnt let the vp "have it" thats ridiculous.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:50 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• The detention was justified, she took advantage of the sub who didn't know the rule - when she did.

The leaving her alone is something that needs to be addressed in a calm, non-confrontational manner.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 7:53 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• Were you contacted earlier to pick your child up from school?? In my school district, students that received detention are allowed to ride the bus..I would question that.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:55 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• For leaving my son alone at school, yes. For giving detention for him doing something he is well aware of is against the rules, NO!!!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 12, 2013

• She knew better than to listen to music. She played the sub for a fool. Our school has a no students in the school after X hour policy. They warn parents to pick up their children by a certain time because there will be no adult supervision. Parents know this and have to make arrangements for the child to get home safely. Were you informed about the detention? If so, you should have made arrangements for her to get home.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:13 PM on Dec. 12, 2013