What is he doing wrong?

My husband has been unemployed since August. He has applied for any job he thinks he is even remotely qualified for. He hasn't even gotten a call for an interview.  What does he need to do to get an interview? I'm wondering if they can tell he's in his late 40's by his work history, and deciding he's too old. Should he not give dates of when he worked where? I'm starting to think he will never get a job.

musicmaker

Asked by musicmaker at 1:30 AM on Dec. 13, 2013 in Money & Work

• A lot depends on what type of work he does. Example construction in cold months = not as many jobs or work being done. Often this time of year many companies have exceeded their budget and will not hire till new fiscal year. He might also be asking for too much money if asked what he expects for salary.

Other factors: work history, number of people applying, how he dresses when leaving application, economy ....I could be any of these or something different. who knows.
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 6:40 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• It takes a lot of very qualified people months or years to get a job and age isn't always a factor. It seems age comes into play the most if he's looking for tech,marketing, graphic design type jobs... But not always. It's just a hard market
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 2:14 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Getting an interview can be very difficult and it may have absolutely nothing to do with his age. Maybe he could get someone to review his resumé and covering letter? Perhaps they don't have that spark, that note of difference that future employers are looking for?

3 months is not a long time to be out of work in this day and age. Please give him all the encouragement he needs. What branch is he in?
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 6:39 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• It may not have anything to do with his age, but I think taking the dates off his resume would probably hurt more than help. Some people do that when they're making up a work history, and considering that there's way more people looking for a job than there are jobs, it's possible an employer could see the lack of dates and ignore the resume entirely. I would leave the dates, and look at things like his salary expectations (he may need to lower them based on your area or if he's applying for jobs that are "less" than what he did before), the places and jobs he's applying for. You say he applies for any job he's even remotely qualified for, so it could be that some of those, he simply isn't as qualified as someone else (he has 2 needed skills, someone else has 3, for example). In some cases, employers will decide (after they've advertised) that it's cheaper/easier to have other employees keep doing the work than to hire.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 7:51 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• One thing my son did was change to a skills resume where he could better present his strengths. You can google it to see examples. And he had good luck using indeed.com. Wishing him all the best. It took my DH over a year to get something after a layoff.
    silverthreads

Answer by silverthreads at 9:39 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Has he gotten in touch with old colleagues? The easiest way to get a job is to know someone. Is he on linkedin or at least Facebook. Do friends know he's looking?

Answer by missanc at 11:51 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• He needs to leave the dates of employment ON his resume. If he has any graduation dates, those need to come OFF his resume.

But four months? Unfortunately in this job market, that's NOTHING. Which is why so many congressional reps are upset the new budget bill doesn't extend long term jobless benefits.

Answer by gdiamante at 9:49 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• It's really hard to get a job in today's market. So it's not that he's doing anything "wrong". He can bump his chances by calling them after a day or two to ask if the position is still open. This shows them he is truly interested in working. Other than that maybe go apply again and ask to speak with the manager. Sometimes you get a bit of an edge when you hand an application directly to the one who hires. Again if you talk to a manager ask questions about the job details. Occasionally you can score an interview that way. Just don't get too discouraged.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:56 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• The job market is tough everywhere. I looked for a job from February until June - I easily applied for HUNDREDS, from retail to office jobs just because I needed SOMETHING. Luckily I was only unemployed from April until mid-June, but it was one hell of a hard time. All he has to do is keep trying - something has got to turn up.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 11:24 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Man, where do you live because the market is still rough out there. That is really tough. Does your area have job fairs and does he look at www.monster.com or even craigslist? Right now with the holidays, it's about the worst time to look. He'll get something, it's just the time of year. Also, 40s isn't that old. I don't think that is it. Does he present well and have you read the resume? Has he followed up with calls, etc? For what it's worth, my BIL was out of work for over a year in Boise, ID. He finally got a job at 50 in Philadelphia. He HAD to move to get work....and he's in marketing.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2013