Grocery help for the week

ugh....My dh does good in the summer, but in the winter he gets his hours cut so this week he only brought home 374.00 he is the only income. We have 3 kids 2, 6 and 8.5 then me and him. He payed the water and electric this morning then he has to put gas in the truck we only have 80.00 to go shopping with for this week.

This is what we need.
toilet paper
sugar
milk
cereal
dog food
butter
laundry soap
bath soap
trash bags

then we still need snacks for the week and we need 7 dinners for the week. We shop at save a lot. How can I do this as cheap as possible for this week and what snacks and dinners can I do for this week. Next week he will have a bonus so will be a little more.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Dec. 13, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Snacks are a want not a need. 3 meals a day are a need.

Answer by louise2 at 8:37 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Eggs and grits/oatmeal, spaghetti with canned marinara sauce and toasted loaf bread, dried beans (black eyed peas or navy beans are my favorites) with cornbread and frozen greens (spinach, turnip greens, etc), canned tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. Those are my super cheap meals off the top of my head. Look for specials on canned/frozen fruit and veggies.
    Also call some local food pantries, they can probably help too!

Answer by missanc at 8:41 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Food pantry. Sometimes they even have thing like trash bags. Either that or find something you can pawn.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:58 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• A lot of those things you have on the list, you can buy at the dollar tree.
    Try the food pantry first, then go from there.

Another thing, why do you have a dog when you can't feed your family?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Have you ever applied for WIC? You get milk, cereal (only certain types), dry beans, brown rice, an certain amount for fresh fruit and vegetables, peanut butter, eggs, and juice for free. It would save you a good bit, but that's not a immediate solution. Dry beans/peas are inexpensive, nutritious, and filling. Buy mostly store brands for most everything. The difference starts to add up. Keep all leftovers, and one night a week use leftovers for dinner instead of planning 7 meals. Also use plastic grocery bags if you have them instead of buying trash bags; it shouldn't be a big deal for a week. Make a plan of what you are going to eat, then make a list of the things you will need and do not deviate from it. If it is not on the list, do not buy it. A few extra dollars here and there add up fast. GL
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 10:18 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Can't you get a job to help out?
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:05 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Go to the food bank first. Then re assess your list.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Pasta, potatoes, beans are all cheap.
    You don't need trash bags. the bags from the grocery store ARE trash bags.
    You need ONE bar of soap to last a week.
    You can buy dollar store laundry detergent- Xtra or that other stuff that is like $2.99. When that's gone, look into making your own.
    The dog can have cheap dry food for a week.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:28 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• we have had the dog for 8 years he is old. We actually tried to find him a home at one time but we couldnt find him one. We are ok from April - October beginning of November but november - march we are tight cause his hours get cut. This is actually the less we have had in a long time to spend on groceries
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:34 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• yes I have had wic before. I had it for my oldest when I was pregnant and for my middle when I was pregnant I had wic from the time I was pregnant with my first util my middle was just over 1. We can't get it anymore just like I can't get food stamps. They count my dh's bonuses on that but thing is we dont always get a bonus. He is a machanic and has to sell so much to get a bonus if he doesnt he dont get it if he does he gets so much of that money but it all depends he doesnt always get that bonus and he doesn't always get a lot if he does get it just depends on how good he did that month. And they started the baby food, fruits and veggies and bread after we went off of it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2013