What steps do i go to when a special needs child seriously injures a younger child? adult content

My stepson is 14 yrs old and has been placed in alternative school because there was an incident at school where he choked a younger child and caused this child serious injury according to the school. The 14 yr old is a special needs child where he has ADHD, only one of his issues. My concern is that he's showing more and more aggressiveness and anger. He's under treatment for his ADHD and medicated, but I'm worried because he's showing more and more signs that I feel may lead to something more serious. What should I do next to get this issue under control?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 AM on Dec. 13, 2013 in Teens (13-17)

• Ask your psychologist or developmental pediatrician. Behavioral therapy may be in order. Worse case scenario check him into a psychiatric hospital for evaluation.

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:57 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Is he in therapy to figure out a) where the anger is coming from and b) ways for him to constructively deal with it? That would be my next step, in addition to making sure he's in a very safe, structured environment.

Answer by missanc at 8:58 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• He is seeing a doctor and they are getting ready to test him for other problems. He is on several medications to control other issues but im starting to think its more then ADHD and something else.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:10 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Yea, it is called puberty.  He has issue. And on top of that he is starting puberty.

Answer by louise2 at 9:31 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Is he seeing a psychiatrist or medical doctor? Because a psych doc is the only one to really address all his issues from the med side and the behavioral side.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:33 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• What other issues does he have? Does he understand what he did? If he's capable to understand fully what he did was wrong you need to punish him. Take away his stuff or whatever!!
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 9:52 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Also, double check the medications. Sometimes, aggression is a very popular side effect.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:03 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• I tend to get very irritated when people blame ADHD for violence and anger, but something just occurred to me. I don't know what other issues your stepson has, but my boys have only ADHD. And while they are not violent, angry or aggressive as a result of their ADHD, I DID notice that while they were on the meds they took, the MED did make them more aggressive. Once I took them off it, the aggression was gone. Obviously, this may not be an option to completely unmedicate him (with his other issues, plus I homeschool and we have lots of workarounds for the ADHD), but you might consider looking at the med he's on and discussing with his doctor if that could be causing some increased aggression.

Other than that, just more conversations with the doctor, maybe some therapy, and make sure you don't cut him slack and let him blame his issues for his behavior (unless it's obviously related).
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 11:18 AM on Dec. 13, 2013

• I dont blame this on his ADHD & feel its used as an excuse too many times. He has other issues &is on several medications. He is not aggressive when hes on them, just when they begin to wear off. He has been also diagnosed with other issues, & is going to be tested for additional illnesses. The doctor has since increasedthe dosage on his meds, but I still thank that is not the resolution& told her so. its helped, but not a resolution to just medicate him more &more. I agree that counseling is a good idea, problem is he refuses to talk to anyone. I am not giving up thou. I thank you all for your advise &have decided to think &take most of the advise here. Im at my wits end &am pray for the solution for his needs before he does something he cant recover from. My concern is that he feels no remorse when it happens &only when we find out hes in trouble &has been caught but I feel hes telling us what he thinks we want to hear.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Has he been placed in a school where they know how to deal with the aggression? I would be very interested in the side effects of his meds. The Dr/psychologist would be the place to gather the medical side to it, but maybe even a great natural path or accupuncturist ( they are true lay amazing- 5 element dealing with entire body)! I would keep seeking information until you are satisfied with the diagnoses and treatment. Wishing you luck.
    Akgirlz

Answer by Akgirlz at 1:09 AM on Dec. 14, 2013