Male Pitbull Mix Will Kill Puppies

My young Lab-Pit mix is great around most dogs. He is very submissive. We have two other dogs in our house and never had a problem. He is the most submissive in the pack. Every time we go out around other dogs he shoes a bit of leash aggression, but is otherwise calm and happy around other dogs. He is a rescue and came to us as an unaltered adult. My husband found him roaming the streets. We have had him two years and are guessing he is about 3. We got him neutered immediately.
Recently we had him around a puppy and he visciously attacked it when it sniffed his nose. I have been around dogs my whole life. No one watching saw any sign of aggression before the attack. Since then we have noticed it was not a fluke. It is every puppy. We put him on the other side of a chain link fence and a glass door and his response is always the same towards puppies. He happily waits until they are close and then attacks.
Any ideas why?

Brisby612

Asked by Brisby612 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 13, 2013 in Pets

• Go away. You're a poor excuse for a pet owner if you let this happen.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:34 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• I don't let things happen. He has not been near other dogs, other than our own since. He has seen a friend of ours puppy through the fence in our yard and a relatives puppy through our Sliding door. How does that make me a bad pet owner?
    Brisby612

Comment by Brisby612 (original poster) at 2:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• So you admit he was not socialized around other dogs. OWNER FAIL. Your argument is invalid.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 2:44 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• I don't think you read my post. He's been properly trained and socialized as best I know. This behavior is beyond my skill level to comprehend and I don't know if it is fixable or if we must keep him from other puppies evermore. Please take your haughty answers elsewhere if you don't have helpful things to say. Thank you.
    Brisby612

Comment by Brisby612 (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• He is the low man on the totem pole, and realizes it, you must never have him around babies, or puppies, this isn't his breed it is because of his pack order.
    If you have small children or are planning on having puppies around you need to re-home him to some place where he can be an only dog and not around anything small that he thinks will threaten his place in the home.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• 222 nailed it

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Do you think it's from something in his past? We don't know where he came from. We didn't want to take him to a shelter because most of the shelters, including the one I volunteer for, kill Pit bulls and variants upon entry. From our over two years with him he has never shown any kind of people aggression. We have small children, who are never left unattended with any of our dogs. He loves cuddling with and being close to them. He had never been around a puppy with us until 5 months ago, so we had no idea this was even an issue.
    My family loves this dog and I don't want to see him go. I am just terrified we will come across a puppy on a walk or somehow he will end up in close proximity to a puppy again.
    Brisby612

Comment by Brisby612 (original poster) at 3:11 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Also, thank you for the reply!
    Brisby612

• Also, I wasn't clear about the taking him to a shelter comment. My husband found him dirty and starved roaming in traffic. We looked for a him, but no one wanted a pit bull. We decided to keep him.
    Brisby612

Comment by Brisby612 (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Is he neutered? And, also, have you explored any of Cesar Milan's books on pits and behavioral training? You may find some great answers there.

I'd definitely muzzle him on walks until you can get this figured out. Good luck
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 3:19 PM on Dec. 13, 2013