Painful ovulation question

i got off the pill in September and since then my ovulations have been painful. nothing too major just some mild cramping on one side or the other. i looked it up and thats normal. well a few days ago the ovulation pain was so bad it made me sick to my stomach and dizzy. it hurt more than my worst period pain. also there was a lot of pressure. it kinda felt like when i was pregnant and my kids dropped.

i know...i know, go to the doctor. well im having some issues with the very little insurance i actually have so that aint gonna happen. and now that im done ovulating the pain is gone. i was just curious if anyone has any experience with this and how they treat it. mortin only helps so much.

okmanders

Asked by okmanders at 9:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2013 in Health

• I have not. I could always tell when I was ovulating, but it was more of a slight throbbing pain.... nothing intense and nothing that I would ever even take Ibuprofen for. You might have a cyst.   Do you have any free clinics in your area?  Some hospitals and women's wellness centers have a sliding fee scale, if nothing else....

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:32 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• I'm thinking it's possibly a cyst also, especially since you came off the pill. Had you been on it a while?

I'm with M-avi regarding sliding fee scale clinics. I'm not sure if you're in an area where Planned Parenthood has a presence but they can give you good care for much less than your regular doctor.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 9:37 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• I went on the pill for that reason. A few on here can attest to the pain and agony I went through. I think I blew a cyst but they couldn't see anything on the ultrasound because I was too scared to get it checked right away. A nurse practitioner on base didn't even want me on the pill because white cost syndrome and anxiety over that made my BP falsely high. I went to planned parenthood for a script and since being on those pills I don't get that pain anymore. I'm actually afraid of going off them and suffering.

When I did get that pain, I took aleve and sucked it up. Basically it amounts to finding the cause and going from there. I don't know how accessible Planned Parenthoods are in your state.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:41 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• yikes...i never thought it could be something as serious as a cyst. would a cyst just stop hurting when ovulation was over? it was only like 18 hours of pain and then it just quit.

there is a Planned Parenthood here, but theyre a pain in the ass to deal with...obnoxious jerks. i guess its better than nothing and having a cyst pop (ouch!). i was on the same birth control for 5 years with just an 11 month break for my son 2.5 years ago. the pill kept me from ovulating...i dunno if that changes anything.
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 9:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• It's not anything to get too worried about just yet but if it continue to be really painful I'd go in. A lot of times they'll want to know if you've had bad pain for more than two cycles so if your next ovulation time sees the same level of pain see if you can make an appointment. If PP is a jerk place to deal with see if there are state clinics (which suck too but maybe not at the same level)
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 10:06 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Cysts aren't really too much to worry about most of them will either just disapear on their own or at times they do rupture(which can be painful but not normally dangerous unless they are huge, which isn't as likely). At least this is what my doctors have always told me.

I get Cysts a lot and at times they hurt when I am ovulating and then will lessen or the pain will stop.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• I get cysts a lot. Sometimes they rupture and it feels like I have appendicitis (actually went to the ER once because of it). I've been given a prescription for 800mg Motrin to take when it gets bad, and they only other thing they can do is put me on the pill, so... I just live with it. It would be worth it to get it checked out, just so you know what it is and how to deal with it.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:15 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Sounds like cysts to me.
    Would you rather spend some money on the Dr, now? Or potentially lose the ability to have children later?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 10:18 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• I have pain with ovulation but I have cysts on my ovaries which is why I have the pain. Just a thought.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 10:27 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• "Would you rather spend some money on the Dr, now? Or potentially lose the ability to have children later?"

well i have no more plans for children so thats not a worry...but if it turns out to be something thats gonna cost more if i wait too long, then i should go as soon as i can. hopefully i can get my insurance issues resolved soon and go in if it still hurts next cycle. you ladies have a been a big help...nothing i read said anything about cysts.

does stress effect them in any way?
    okmanders

Comment by okmanders (original poster) at 10:35 PM on Dec. 13, 2013