Am I missing something?

As expected the "I say Merry Christmas..." things are all over Facebook. I'm a Christian and do indeed say Merry Christmas. Never once has anyone told me I wasn't allowed to say it. To me "Happy Holidays" is an all inclusive term. I don't see a controversy. What I see is people trying to create problems where there are none. Maybe I'm the dumb one but it seems like much ado about nothing.

sopranomommy

Asked by sopranomommy at 10:38 PM on Dec. 13, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I agree. Who cares? I'm Jewish and if someone tells me "Merry Christmas" I just say "Merry Christmas you". What's the big deal? Honestly, some people just want to create issues when there's none.
    momto2boys973

Answer by momto2boys973 at 9:32 PM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Of course it's a made up controversy. it's part of the "Christians are being persecuted" BS

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:42 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• People who complain about not saying Merry Christmas like to pretend that someone is trying to prevent them from saying it. What they're really upset about is that other people don't say it. They don't feel comfortable in a world where everyone else isn't exactly like them, but they know that's not a civil way to behave, so they lie and twist it into something it's not.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:07 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• its kinda small print, but it makes a solid point...be a good human!

okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 2:30 PM on Dec. 14, 2013

• maecntpntz219

Answer by maecntpntz219 at 4:31 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• The media creates a "war on Christmas" and suddenly it becomes a thing in the real world. Holiday means holy day and is Christmas not considered a holy day in the Christian religion? It's just one more way for people to take a stand feel enraged and victimized. It's just one more step toward dividing us and sensationalizing a story that has no merit.
    dezava

Answer by dezava at 12:28 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Your last two sentences pretty much sums it all up. Every year we go through this. It's Christmas. I'm not a Christian but I say it and it is said back to me. It's just a holiday. One I hate to the bottom of my soul but not because of the religious aspect.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 11:31 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• When I say merry Christmas I have had people say "you mean happy holidays". Since it's usually when I'm at work I just smile and move on. It doesn't matter to me what people say, I appreciate the sentiment behind it but it does bother me a little when people try to
    Correct/change what I say.

Answer by missanc at 9:58 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• no you arent missing anything. those who choose to be upset by this are the ones missing something.

some ppl are so convinced they are being persecuted they've made laws to "protect" Christmas from the non-existent war. my state (Oklahoma) is about to pass a law that allows schools to decorate & celebrate Christmas (and to a lesser extent Hanukkah) without worrying about being sued...which has never happened. but Texas passes a crazy conservative religious law and we have to do it too...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 10:46 PM on Dec. 13, 2013

• Welcome to the world!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:48 PM on Dec. 13, 2013