Mono...

Doc thinks my son (age 18) has it. Waiting for blood work to come back tomorrow morning.
What do you know about it?

PartyGalAnne

Asked by PartyGalAnne at 11:54 PM on Dec. 13, 2013 in Health

• It's not spread by casual conduct usually but it can spread if you share utensils. If you use a dishwasher, make sure you use the heat dry setting and that will kill any virus on glasses, silverware and dishes. It's not spread through the air.

The incubation period is about 4-6 weeks before symptoms show up. And the virus does lay dormant once you've had it but it's really rare for you to get it a second time.

Just don't use his toothbrush and you'll be okay :)
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 11:36 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Hmmm.... The doctors thought I had it too once and it turns out that I actually had a very bad case of strep. I was so sick.

Hopefully it is something easy like strep and not mono. That takes so long to run its course.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:36 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• I had it at 19... can't lift anything. Your spleen & liver are enlarged so you have to take it easy. I basically slept for a month, the sore throat was worse then strep and lasted about two weeks. I was out of work for 4 months total. But I guess I had a bad case. I know others who have had it but didn't get that sick. Hope he gets better quick!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:36 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Dd had mono and strep a couple years ago. She was tired, headachey, and just blah for about a month. Seems just as she was getting over the mono she somehow got strep too. It was weird.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:01 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• People can walk around with it for weeks. It's good to get it checked out just so he can begin to really take care of himself. I am not sure what they prescribe for it. Generally, I don't think you should panic about this. If it is let go, it can be a problem.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:06 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• He (was staying at his dad's) let it get to the point where he was sleeping for two days, woke up last night throwing up all night, and begged me to call the doctor today. High fever and in his words the worst sore throat ever. He can barely speak. Doc said she hasn't seen tonsils as bad as his in years. Was told if bloodwork came back as mono she'd like to see him admitted to hospital.

As a side note, they gave him liquid antibiotics since a pill won't fit down his throat. The bottle says "Sever diarrhea may occur. Diarrhea may occur weeks or months after taking drug. "
    That cheered him up. Surprise diarrhea a month from now. Lol
    PartyGalAnne

Comment by PartyGalAnne (original poster) at 1:30 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• I do know once he gets to feeling better, the symptoms go away for good. Although he will always carry the virus that caused the problem. Mean time, its contagious,even the tears!! Also avoid drink the same glass he drank out of. My sister got mono when she was younger, and the doc said mono is contagious when bodily fluids are present, such salvia.
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 2:18 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• my daughter had it- around 14?
    seemed like she had some kind of flu or something which is shy I took her, but after that wore off, she was just tired a lot for a while. They said the tiredness and whatnot could go on for a few months

also said she probably got it from sharing drinks with friends at school
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:30 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• *why I took her

and yeah- I think she also had a sore throat
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:31 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• I had mono at 15. Your lymph nodes swell, spleen swells, fever, feel very fatigued, sleep a lot, have to rest a lot. I had it bad for 3 months. After I got better I tested positive for the Epstein Barr virus/chronic fatigue syndrome for years. Most people don't get it this bad.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 8:35 AM on Dec. 14, 2013