Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth

So with that in mind, every time a Christian group fights to keep a picture of Jesus on display in a school, or a blatantly religious carving or statue on display on public grounds, aren't they essentially damning themselves (and everyone else who is in contact with the graven image or likeness) to Hell?

Even the monuments of the commandments themselves are likenesses of things that were created "by heaven".

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 7:36 AM on Dec. 14, 2013 in Religious Debate

• I kind of like to think so. LOL Wonder if anyone will attempt to change my mind.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:56 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Only God judges who goes to Heaven/Hell so it really doesn't matter.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 8:09 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Honestly I think the issue is not making an image of God Himself, because any image of God would be a mere idol, in the sense that it would limit God and not be true to Who/What God is.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:01 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• "graven"
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:27 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• In a sense, yes. The images themselves are fine of course, but the importance that is placed on them when people fight to keep them public, that can border on breaking a commandment because it comes close to worshipping the thing and not the god it represents.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:45 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Graven image - something that is worshipped as an idol. Since Christians are worshiping God and not the "idol" (picture, statue, etc) it's okay.

Answer by missanc at 9:54 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• "graven"

Yes, graven, synonym for "serious". Anything else you'd care to add?
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 9:55 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Look up the definition for "graven image" not just the one word

Answer by missanc at 10:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• "an object of worship carved usually from wood or stone"

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/graven%20image

The exaggeration of that into the item being worshipped as an individual entity is the loophole people give themselves to justify wearing crosses and paying for stained glass windows in churches.  There's a reason Christians slaughtered each other for over 100 years, and this is one of them.  Funny how it was important enough to kill their family and neighbors 500 years ago, but today it's totally cool to put them everywhere, even places they don't belong.

NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:14 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• I wasn't a Christian 500 years ago so I don't have to defend that. I am one now and I read the scripture and follow it to the best of my ability and understanding. I see nothing wrong with wearing a cross or displaying a manger scene. They are not objects I worship, just a representation of something that is special to me. They are not a "graven image"

Answer by missanc at 10:25 AM on Dec. 14, 2013