Children and guns

Do you believe it is OK to have guns in a house with children living there or no guns if children are present?

jenny3344

Asked by jenny3344 at 9:20 AM on Dec. 14, 2013 in General Parenting

• Guns are like any other tool. You use them wisely and store them wisely. You teach children respect for the tools.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:25 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• I dopn't believe it's a black-or-white question.

My BIL has a hunting gun - the gun is locked in a box in his locked workshop at home, the ammo is in a locked box in the false floor of his 4x4 that he uses all the time. I reckon the risks are pretty minimal ...
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 9:26 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• It's not so simple. Many gun owners today have no clue about gun safety. However, the ones who treat guns the way they should be treated, and who teach kids early on about guns and gun safety, can have guns in the house with kids and it's no big deal. It's when we hide them and make them some mysterious thing that children get curious, and bad things happen.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:36 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Yes, as long as it's secured properly. We have guns in the house, my kids know better than to touch them and the ammunition is kept locked up.

Answer by missanc at 9:41 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• We have a lot of guns in our house. All stored properly , actually extra careful. E have trigger locks and they're all in safes.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:43 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• personally, I would NOT have them around kids
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:53 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• For me personally I would not have a gun in my house with or without children.
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 9:59 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Responsible gun owners teach their kids about guns and gun safety. They do not treat them like forbidden fruit. They are stored properly. In other words, nothing wrong with guns being around kids as long as the parents use common sense.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:16 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• There are guns in my house. All properly locked up, with the ammo also properly locked up. My kids have been taught safe and proper use of guns, and also how to behave if they find a gun - whether it's one of ours at home or they find it at someone else's house or on a sidewalk.

When the guns are handled properly, and the kids are taught gun safety, there is no reason to keep them out of the house just because kids are in the house. If you can't be bothered to teach your kids gun safety, or to store your guns appropriately, then you shouldn't.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:45 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• I believe raising children to be ignorant of guns and not teaching them gun safety from an early age is negligent parenting. Those are the children most likely to have an accident in someone else's home.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:59 AM on Dec. 14, 2013