Have you ever maxed out a credit card?

I'm broke and want to get my daughter a few things for Christmas. I already owe $1200 on my credit card. I was going to spend a few hundred dollars for the holiday. And just pay it back when I get my taxes. I never do this and I hate the fact that I will owe so much but I have no money. And my daughter father doesn't help.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Dec. 14, 2013 in Money & Work

• Uh no, never maxed out a credit card.

Get her a few gifts, alot of stores have BOGO.

You don't have to go all crazy,
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:13 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• no but close
    credit card got up to a little over 6 grand when I was going through major court costs
    and the kicker is after years of lawyer fees, last day of court, the 'father' got one day a month to visit daughter, me supervising, with one month notice to me.
    he has made zero contact for more than a year
    no phone call
    no birthday gift
    no Christmas card
    nothing

he really wanted to fight in court to have alone time with her...HA

i a still paying this off, will be for quite a while
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Don't max out a credit card just to buy Christmas gifts. You will feel bad later. Buy reasonable gifts. Go to the dollar store and fill up a stocking for your child. Kids live stockings full of inexpensive junk. Its all in the presentation. Buy a stuffed animal. That always looks nice next to gifts. Put a santa hat on the stuffed animal. Get a big bow for one of the gifts and put ribbons and bows on others. Blow up balloons. Tape them to gifts and place them around gifts. Decorate the gift area with candy canes on gifts and on the floor around gifts. Curl up ribbons and place around gifts. Throw a few plastic flowers in the mix too. All can be bought at the dollar store. Every year I decorate up the gift area and my kids get more excited than if I just had gifts wrapped alone. Have fun with it. Kids like it.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 10:32 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Credit cards can create such a vicious cycle that is hard to get ahead of. Things come up, you use them, but never get them paid off before something else comes up. It happens. Been there, still dealing with that. It sucks. Try to find ways to cut back & save. Look for deals & use digital coupons. But don't feel so much pressure to overspend & overextend yourself. It's not worth the stress. I'm sure you & your child will have a good Christmas no matter what.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Yeah most of it has been spent on my car. I've had one thing happen after another with my damn car. And I wasn't going all out she just want a kitchen, doc McStuffins set and some doll babies. The kitchen set is $40 at Wal-Mart, the doc McStuffins set is like $60 and I was going to get a few Barbies and that's it. Typically I will by my siblings gifts and my boyfriend and his kids but I can't do it this year and I feel bad. But I lost my job and I'm going through a rough time. I just want to get my daughter something you know?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:50 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• That's a great idea Jenny. Thank you
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:51 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Back hen I was young and dumb, yes. Then I got divorced, had to file bankruptcy and haven't had a card since.
    If I can't pay cash or get a loan (example: car or house) for it, then I don't need it.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:03 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• I've always told my kids, if you can't afford it, you don't need it.
    I understand car repairs, but they're other options for Christmas presents.
    You knew Christmas was coming for a year, why did you wait so long?
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:05 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Honestly I always do shopping in December. I've never bought gifts months before. I will buy her a few things. And I only use my credit card for emergencies. All year I've been paying for maintenance on my car. It's been kicking my butt. Once I get my taxes I am going to pay the $1500 back in full. I always make a minimum payment but I don't like to have an outstanding balance. Like I stated its been a rough year for me
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:12 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• how old is your daughter?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:40 AM on Dec. 14, 2013