Do you crack your knuckles?

Mine crack all the time. Why do your joints crack? Is it harmful? Do you crack your knuckles? Why do some people crack and others don't? Just wondering....

jenny3344

Asked by jenny3344 at 11:10 AM on Dec. 14, 2013 in Health

• My DH cracks his knuckles before bed. It drives me crazy. His ankles crack when he walks up the stairs too. He's always making some sort of noise, LOL!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 11:13 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• no
    It's air bubbles in the fluid between joints. And totally safe

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:29 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• I don't just because I don't think of it. No harm though.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 14, 2013

• no
    christina122952

Answer by christina122952 at 12:46 PM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Yes I do it all the time. My girlfriend who is a nurse says that if you keep doing that you can get arthritis. So I try not to do it so much is just a habit
    zoriah26

Answer by zoriah26 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Butterfly are you a nurse or doctor? I see you answer tons of questions as if you know these things for certain.
    Anonymous

• http://www.advancedphysicalmedicine.org/blog/2010/06/15/is-cracking-your-knuckles-bad-for-you/

While it does not cause arthritis there are possibilities of damage

Numerous studies have shown that cracking knuckles do not lead to arthritis, but there is a relationship between knuckle-cracking and hand swelling, loss of lower grip strength, ligament damage, soft tissue injuries and dislocation of tendons. This is really only the result of rapid, repeated stretching of ligaments, like what happens to major league pitchers. Risk is minimal for the rest of us, however.
    Anonymous

• I do and always have.... I am 49 and if I don't pop, I ache....

Everything on my body pops...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:20 PM on Dec. 14, 2013

• I crack my back, my neck and my knuckles every day, multiple times. I've done this for dacades.  Like avi, It makes me feel better. I'm also 49.

musicmaker

Answer by musicmaker at 11:12 PM on Dec. 14, 2013

• I can't afford to go to the chiropractor to snapped, crackled and popped so I stretch, twist and pop myself. Like M-avi and musicmaker ... it relieves the pressure/stiffness and makes me feel better. I'm 44 but I have done it for as long as I can remember.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 8:31 AM on Dec. 15, 2013