What can I do to distract a 1 year old?

Actually, I'm not a Mom. But my little cousin, Julia, is 1 year old and I take care of her most of the time. She's like a daughter for me. But she is very active so during meetings and this kind of thing she won't be quiet. So I'd like to know if there's any way to distract her with things I can take anywhere on my purse. Tell me what you Moms do in this kind of situation, please.

LauP

Asked by LauP at 2:49 PM on Dec. 14, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• We don't take them to places where they are expected to be still and quiet except in emergencies. Then we take snacks, and small toys, but that's basically to avoid a total meltdown. She won't be 100% quiet unless she naps
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 14, 2013

• Put her in a stroller with a snack tray, snacks & stroller toys maybe.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:11 PM on Dec. 14, 2013

• My grand daughter likes books......or magazines...

Answer by older at 7:04 PM on Dec. 14, 2013

• I wouldn't take her to a meeting. But if you have to, put her in the stroller with Cheerios or goldfish.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 9:45 PM on Dec. 14, 2013

• I'd avoid taking her to meetings because it's pretty unrealistic to expect a child of that age to sit still and keep quiet. They're not designed to do that - lol.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 9:46 AM on Dec. 15, 2013

• I agree with the other posts. You can't keep a 1 y/o quiet. You can try distracting her with baby toys or your keys and bring a bottle or sippy cup and snacks.
    jenny3344

Answer by jenny3344 at 10:07 AM on Dec. 15, 2013