Are we better off than 2008?

Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Dec. 15, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Hell no. Foreclosures are still happening, some homes are being foreclosed for the 2nd or 3rd time. The majority of the new jobs created pay half what the ones they "replace" paid, and unemployment in many areas is still above 8%.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:25 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• No. We have a President that knew he could pull America down when he won office. His goal is to Socialize America and make us dependent on other countries. He has no other goal than to pull America down as he promised his dying father.
    When he said that "Change" was coming...and many Americans believed him...well, he was partially right. He knew what the "Change" was going to be.
    He was very subtle in his tactics. He told partial truths. America is now starting to pay...My children will see worse and so will their kids. All we can do is put our full trust in God.
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 6:05 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• Lol aubrey..... Because you were there with him and his dying father. Rolling eyes.
    Try thinking on your own instead of regurgitating what the media wants you to believe.

No we are not better off.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• Well, the stock market certainly is, but overall - NO. There is still so much wrong with this economy & our current political system, that I sometimes have to avoid the news for health reasons. :/
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:33 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• Well, the forecasts I've been seeing for San Diego say YES, better off. From a personal standpoint, I know I'm doing better. Once my husband gets through his next medical procedure, he'll be back to work and the job he's got lined up pays double what he was making in 2008.

I remember actually being frightened when doing stories about the economy in 2008, when gas prices were skyrocketing and major banks were collapsing. It was also scary to see neighborhood banks and credit unions go under. But these days the only fear I feel is about my husband's health.

Everyone's mileage will vary. From here, things are looking pretty good.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:39 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• Yes, I am. We are making so much more.
    Anonymous

• "All we can do is put our full trust in God..."
    Why do folks to that?? Even the folks who did that, are still getting screwed, still losing their homes, getting hours cut to part time because their employers rather pay the measly fine then spend thousands of $$ in keeping their employees healthy, forced to pay for health insurance, then pay even more then they were. Obama needs to be impeached. NOW
    If you believe some people, they think Obama is the anti-christ...
    Michigan-Mom74

Answer by Michigan-Mom74 at 12:19 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• yep...but then i had just started off my adult life when everything went to shit. by comparison things are a lot better now for us than it was when we started out in 2007. we were able to get a house while the market was low and DH is finally starting to get raises. there are lots of things we go without, but then we've never had them so its not really like we're doing without. this is just the way things have always been for us...so yeah its better now.

my area hasnt been hit like others, the market was never super inflated like other places, so things are getting better. lots of new construction, very few foreclosures, and lots of open job positions. and not just fast food, but skilled jobs.

still cant afford health insurance, but thats not Obama's fault. the problems of this country were created long before he was in office and will continue long after he's gone.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:38 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• I'm not really doing any better or any worse than I was 5 years ago. I'm working the same job, I'm paying the same bills. My investments are doing GREAT. My son's trust fund, that was left to him when my mom died in 2008, went from $181,000 in 2008,  to most recently, $230,000. And I have taken out $50,000 to pay for his college expenses. So actually it was about $280,000. Yeah, Obama is a big scary socialist. If he keeps up his brand of socialism, my son will be a millionaire in a few years.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• LOL
    NO. Pick a specific area of life and I will tell you.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:20 AM on Dec. 16, 2013