my 5 year old has some diahrrea and refuses to take any medicine thats not grape

i tried to put a chewable inside of some food he liked as soon as he tasted it he spit it all out

Kate S.

Asked by Kate S. at 10:36 PM on Dec. 15, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What medicine are you trying to give him? A lot of gi problems don't need medicine. They just have to run their course.
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 10:55 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• What medicine did you give him? I wasn't even aware they made diarrhea medicine for children. I thought the recommended thing to do was offer Pedialyte and/or water. I am sure they have grape flavored Pedialyte.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:57 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• Grape pedialyte will be helpful... only if you cut it in half with water as too much sugar can actually make diarrhea worse. What other medication does he need for this?? Ask you doctor what else to give!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 11:02 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• Bananas, rice, apples, toast.
    No medication. Push fluids.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 11:15 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• There are kids' chewable pepto bismol, but I don't know if they come in grape flavor. If it's just diarrhea and no other symptoms, I'd leave him be and let this run its course.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:17 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• The diarrhea is there because the body is trying to flush something out. Keep him hydrated and let it run it's course. His body is doing exactly what it should do.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 11:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2013