I need to find a gift for very crunchy friend having a baby

It has to be online so I can ship it right there and basically has to fit in a suitcase because they got in between Alaska,California and India a lot right now which also means giftcards are problematic.

They are an ultra crunchy, everything organic,plastic free, family so it makes things a bit harder. I know she's planning another home birth, they co-sleep, and I'm pretty sure she's going to be nursing both the new baby and her 3 year old.

I was thinking something for her (either before the baby come, during her homebirth or in that postpartum period), something for their 3 year old son possibly and something for the baby.
Any ideas from like Amazon or another online site because I'm drawing a blank?

One other little tidbit maybe something a bit more touch based for gifts for the kids because he DH is completely blind, she is low vision and the baby might be blind but their 3 year old is sighted.

lizziebreath

Asked by lizziebreath at 10:54 PM on Dec. 15, 2013 in General Parenting

• I always get two glass bottles with the silicon wrap. Inside I place an amber necklace for teething, an organic outfit for the kid, and some organic lotion. Then I call it a day. No need to over think. Wrapping is done by having a handmade quilt done and wrapping the bottles inside with an earth friendly reusable bow. I do burlap typically or twine.
    Anonymous

• I love these aden + anais baby swaddles. They are made of soft gauzy muslin and are so useful and cute. A two pack is about $35 a four pack runs about $50. I still use the ones I was given and my DD is four now!

tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 11:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• For the mom, how about a one month gift subscription to Nature Box- http://naturebox.com/foods or if she cuts her own family's hair, something from CreaProducts- http://creaproducts.com/store/index.php?route=common/home

Not sure about the kids.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:08 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• @Anon Good idea but I will receive like heavy duty hate mail if I give an artificial nipple of any kind.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• CKel

Answer by CKel at 11:48 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• @CKel unfortunately that would also be considered offensive.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 12:04 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• if they are so easily offended, maybe you should just forgo the gift...better to be rude for not sending something, then thought a jerk simply for wishing them well. if they cant see past the gift to the good thoughts behind it, thats their problem.

there are lots of sites that sell wooden toys, but im sure theres something wrong with those too...
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 12:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Is it the word "hooter" that is offensive, or the thought that she should have to use a cover up while feeding that would be offensive? Here are 20 "crunchy" mom approved gifts

CKel

Answer by CKel at 1:24 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• @CKel I've seen her views on the idea of covering up during nursing and they aren't pretty. A particularly rapid branch in natural circles considers the idea of nursing under anything being a way of supporting the anti-breastfeeding patriarchy.
    lizziebreath

Comment by lizziebreath (original poster) at 1:50 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• If she is this picky. Either forego the gift or send her a check or money order and let her do the shopping.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2013