How do you forgive without an apology?

Hey ladies... I would like to know how to forgive without receiving an apology. I was told that the steps to moving on from a friendship/relationship is forgiving. I'm stuck on that. Sorry if it's a weird question, but I just would really love to forgive this person who has caused a lot of grief in my life without receiving an apology, because this person refuses to apologize. Thank you in advance. :)

Diamond2010

Asked by Diamond2010 at 11:38 PM on Dec. 15, 2013 in Relationships

• Forgiveness has nothing to do with the other person, it has to do with how you hold everything inside yourself.
    It does not mean that you bring them into a relationship again but let them go with no ill will. That is a decision on your part and they do not even have to know you have forgiven them.

Some of that it recognizing your own role in the situations that occurred between you and how much responsibility you have to take on yourself as well.

(Way out example) She stole mother grandmother diamond ring. I knew she was a theif and I should not have invited her to stay in my home . I should definitely have not let her be alone in my home. I never thought she would steal from me. I forgive her though I may never see that ring again. She should not have stolen from me. I should not have trusted a theif. I have learned and Do hope she is caught and my ring is recoverred but I am not going to focus all my energy on h
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:16 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Forgiving for me is more about letting go of the emotion and resentment. It's for me, not for them. And then I move on without them in my life. I can forgive someone, but I do not have to continue to allow them in my life to repeat their actions. Once - you are a victim. Twice - you are a volunteer.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 11:49 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• Forgiveness isn't always about letting someone "off the hook" for their misdeeds. Sometimes, it's about no longer allowing that person to have any kind of power of your and/or your life.
    Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 11:45 PM on Dec. 15, 2013

• You just do it. You make up your mind not to let what every it is eat at you anymore. Wash your hands of it and be done.
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 12:01 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• I really like the way QuinnMae put it. You forgive DESPITE the lack of an apology.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:02 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• If this person wronged you and refuses to apologize, why do you even want them around?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 12:30 AM on Dec. 16, 2013