Because of me, my 5 yr old probably will not a good christmas...

I got signed up for christmas asst at one of the local churches here. I had the date wrong, thought is was the 17th but it was the 14th. Now its too late to do anything. DH and I are ABSOLUTELY are broke, a church mouse has more money than we do. How to do explain to 5 yr old why santa didn't come and leave presents under the tree.

I am SO upset, and couldn't even do this right! And its pass due dates for applying for assistance. I can't believe I forgot that!! DH and I were depending on those presents for dd to open up on christmas morning. DAMN IT!! Now I have to tell dh that I couldn't even get this right. Now this stuff adding up with the ex-tenets we had living with us, and the shit they pulled. I am so angry at myself! .

Damn it this sucks!! What am I gonna do now?? I know ,many of you think toy are not important, Its getting together with family. but do you think a 5 yr old cares about that?? Nope.

Michigan-Mom74

Asked by Michigan-Mom74 at 3:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2013 in Holidays

• BTW- the reason some people shop last minute is b/c when you live paycheck to paycheck, it's not always possible to buy a toy or something at full price, months before the holidays. I did forget you were a gun lover like me tho- so I like the idea of pawning or selling one to make sure you have a good Christmas. I know it's hard to part w/ things like that, but sometimes we do what we need to do to make our kids happy. :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:00 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Why does everyone wait until the final hour to shop! I just don't get it!
    When our boys were little, we were on a strict budget as well, so I would pick something up months before Christmas, so this very thing didn't happen!
    Funny how other shit gets done but can't buy a gift here and there just in case.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 9:13 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Do you have anything you could sell or pawn? Jewelry, your guns, etc?
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:25 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• I second the Freecycle suggestion. There are a lot of items up in my area right now. See if you can donate plasma for $50. Get on the phone and start finding solutions.

Based on your other posts you were putting away the rent money from your tenants to pay your taxes. Take $50 from that for several gifts from dollar stores. Offer to do errands for someone for a few bucks.

I'm not sure if you're working or not but it might be prudent to look for something after the holidays so that you're not constantly living on the edge of chaos.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 9:18 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Well family dollar has toys bogo 50% off. Take some f the money you were saving from the tenants and buy her some gifts and to king stuffers. Also dollar tree has some super awesome stuff right now.
    Most importantly make memories with her. Make cookies, salt dough ornaments, hot cocoa and movies on Xmas eve.
    Remember quality over quantity.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Libras has a good idea, I know you have guns. Pawn them or sell one.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 9:27 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• I'm sorry you missed it, but why wait so long? My kids were young when we were broke. We finally lost our house right after Chritsmas 2010. That's when I realized what was truly important.

Kids are more understanding about that stuff than you think. Most years between 2007 and 2011 my kids got 2 small gifts. 1 from Santa and 1 from us. We explained that Santa didn't want us to feel bad since we could only afford one gift, so he only left one gift too. Dollar Tree gifts are better than nothing... especially to a 5 yr old.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:34 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Sell some guns. When you bash those on welfare, have enough firearms for a small militia, but can't put a few gifts under the tree for your kid, it's hard to feel bad.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• freecycle in your area
    craigslist has free stuff
    goodwill has stuff for super cheap
    dollar store- well a dollar
    sell something on craigslist for cash (be careful meet in public space)
    do you have anything stashed away

a five year old does not know cost, just likes to open things

i am super short this year after stupid car repairs, lucky i had stashed stuff in my dresser drawer, that i have picked up at rummage sales or goodwill over last few months
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:31 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• We lived pay check to pay check mrsmom, DH was our sole income at the time.
    I NEVER paid full price for their gifts.
    If I were in a store and saw something marked down to be discontinued, I would buy it.
    The next pay check, I would do the same, again.
    It really doesn't take a lot to make a 5 year old happy.
    But guns and cigarettes are helluva expensive.
    It's called priorities!
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 10:19 AM on Dec. 16, 2013