Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to give children money for Christmas but daughter has live in boyfriend

I don't want to exclude him but I also don't want to give him same as kids. Also their Grandfather passed and I want to give them a "chunk" of money , what is the best way so it doesn't get used up. I know its their money but would it be best to spread it out ?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 8:31 AM on Dec. 16, 2013 in Adult Children (18+)

Answers (15)
  • Give him a gift certificate,give her the money
    If it's theirs,you'll just have to accept the way it's used

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:35 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

  • If you're worried about the money being spent, you could talk to a lawyer about putting it in a trust - that would limit who could use it and possibly how it could be used, depending on how it's set up. Other than that, if you don't want to do that or it's not enough money for that, all you can do is give it to them and hope they use it wisely. Unless you want to try to hold onto it until they're older/more mature, but if they know about it, and it's money left to them by a will or something, they could take you to court to get it and turn this into a big ugly mess.

    Answer by wendythewriter at 8:48 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

  • I am the executor of the will so I can give them any amount. It was not left to them , I wanted to give them something from Grandpa. Just trying to figure an amount and how best to give it to them.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:53 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

  • It needs to be split equally
    You're going to catch hell if you give the one with the BF ,less

    Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:55 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

  • The boyfriend isn't part of the estate, so he should not be part of the dispersal. Give the kids equal amounts and give him a different gift.

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:03 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

  • I agree with SB!


    Answer by KTElite at 9:06 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

  • Why would the boyfriend get anything? Get him a gift card as a gift from you maybe, but not as a part of the estate.

    Answer by QuinnMae at 9:26 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

  • If the children are under 25, I like the idea of setting up a trust for them. Ask the lawyer handling the estate for help with that. The BF can get a separate gift that should have no bearing on what they are inheriting.

    Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:51 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

  • You buy him a present, if you are worried about what she spends the money on, don't give it. Gifts should be made with an open heart, and if she is an adult, what she spends or how she spend the money shouldn't be your worry. I would say if you want her to save it put in in a trust that she can't touch until she is 30.

    Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:08 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

  • Boyfriend should not be included at all. Estate is FAMILY which he is not... yet. So nothing for him as far as grandfather's money. If you want to give him something for Christmas try a gift card or less money than the other people. I agree with 222 up there^^^

    Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:59 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.