HOW DO I STOP NURSING

MY LITTLE GIRL WILL BE 1 TOMORROW AND I CAN ONLY GET HER TO NURSE 2 TIMES A DAY. WHEN I DO DECIDE TO STOP ALL TOGETHER ,DO I JUST STOP? I DONT HAVE MUCH MILK NOW NOT LIKE WHEN SHE WAS LITTLE. CAN ANYONE TELL ME. SOUNDED STUPID I KNOW. WHATS EVEN WORSE IS I HAVE 2 OTHER CHILDREN 18 AND 13 BUT ITS BEEN SO LONG I CANT REMEMBER.

harleygirl2475

Asked by harleygirl2475 at 1:03 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• For starters...do NOT feel stupid....even after 5 1/2 years I myself forget what it was like. I do remember that because of my work schedule I decided to quit breast feeding after only 4 months!!!!
    Give your self credit woman!!!!
    As for stopping, just wean off...think of when both you and your child are the most comfortable during breast feeding and continue it. For example: breastfeed only before bedtime. Then start to wean... every night as usual...then only 3x's a week...then once...then none!
    It is important to maintain the same environment and feeling. When you feed with the bottle hold her in the same place and position and eventually she will be fine. It is apparent that she already uses a bottle (right)?
    There is no RIGHT time to stop...it is all dependent on you and your child!
    Tiff
    alexandersmom03

Answer by alexandersmom03 at 1:11 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• When you do it...drop 1 feeding at a time. When my dd stopped I had to pump 1 time a day every other day for a week then I went to every 2 days.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:07 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Remove the feeding that you think she will miss the least. Do this for a week to two weeks, then remove the next. When it comes to taking away the night time feeding you can try having your husband put her down so she doesn't associate boobie time. Also just by shortening your feeding time helps too. So if you are having a hard time just holding her for a while and then sticking her in her crib and walking away while she cries, then feed her less and less time each day. Feed her food like yogurt an hour before you put her down. She'll be full so she won't need to feel her tummy up with milk. If you're only feeding her twice a day as it is then you have this in the bag! Take a month to do it. Good luck Mamma!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• The best route for both you and her is to let her decide when to stop. Even if she's only nursing 2x a day she still needs that. She'll stop when she's ready. It is recommended that you nurse for at least 2 years.
    jaycee1124

Answer by jaycee1124 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 20, 2009