Tis the season to be scammed

http://www.abc22now.com/shared/news/top-stories/stories/wkef_vid_17274.shtml

Lot's of scammers take advantage of the holidays to prey on people's sympathy.  I know even right here there was someone who took advantage of a lot of CM Answers regulars in a previous year, and is still begging for gift cards and things in groups and journals this year.

Have you run into one of the gift-card/toy donation sob story scams?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 10:05 AM on Dec. 16, 2013 in Politics & Current Events

• Not that I know of. When I give a gift, I give from my heart. I do not check references. We usually give through organizations though.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:07 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Yes, here. I'm sort of embarrassed to say that I've sent a few gift cards to established members that were never acknowledged. Both at the holidays. I wasn't looking for gushes of praise but simply saying "I got your gift card, thanks" would have been nice.

Now I have to be much more in the "if you teach a man to fish" camp.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 10:09 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• And where was I when someone was asking for stuff? I see people sometimes asking for ideas of how to get money for stuff, but not outright asking for things.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• I was a victim to the scammer here. So unless I know you personally ( outside of cm, we talk on a regular basis ect..) you won't get a red cent from me.,
    I don't understand it, christmas is December 25, every single year. You have an entire year to have your Ducks in a row. Honestly, I feel bad for the kids, want to choke the parents.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:10 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• And where was I when someone was asking for stuff?

IIRC, most of it was posted in the holidays section. Because it was a long standing member, they weren't reported, at least not right away. People had no idea they were signing up to be verbally abused for their gift cards not arriving at Priority Mail speed.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• "And where was I when someone was asking for stuff?"

They're pretty savvy sometimes. In my case, it was through PM's. One was at Easter, I believe. And since they're established members you really want to help them out.

I think that something really worth remembering is that it's rarely "I don't have money, send me stuff" but, rather, a subtle tug at the heartstrings. It pays to be cautious
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 10:16 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• It was a regular member who couldn't afford school clothes, supplies ect.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 10:17 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• I've never sent anything to anyone on this site. I have no problem with helping others. But, I don't really trust stories on the net. And, I don't understand why people don't plan better or sacrifice themselves. I never get any presents, ever. My family will send me b-day money & I use it on my kids. It usually ends up paying for Halloween & some of X-mas.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 10:18 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• are they still members?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2013

• On Friday there was a man standing on the side of the road, sign said he lost his job 2 kids needed Christmas money. I pulled over and asked him if he could drive, and offered him a delivery job for one of my sub-contractors, I gave him $5 and my card with the number. As I drove away, I watched him crumple it up and throw it down, I sure did turn the car around and asked for my money back!
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:23 AM on Dec. 16, 2013