Picking out a New Dishwasher

My dishwasher died a greasy, bubbly, ugly death. Right before Christmas, nice. I'll be doing dishes by hand for a while. Which is okay, really, since this dishwasher was the first one I ever owned anyway. But I can daydream about a new one. I want one that runs quietly, since this last one sounded like the coming of Noah's flood. Seriously, we could only start it up at night or when we would be out of the house because it was too intrusive to have going while we were eating a meal or trying to hear the TV or something. I also want the machine to be dial-operated--yeah, good luck with that--or at least to have a simple touch-pad that I can adapt with dots of glue or basic braille. My five-year-old has to fire up my high-efficiency washing machine for me. It's pathetic.

So anyway, my question is, are there any features you just love on your dishwasher that I should look for? Are there any you thought you absolutely had to have that are turning out to be unused? Any bells and whistles that are a waste of money? Ah, the stuff that will fill my mind as I go off to do the breakfast dishes and muck out my daughter's bedroom! If I don't turn up in a few hours, send out a search party!

Ballad

Asked by Ballad at 12:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2013 in Shopping

• LOL, what happened? I have had a kitchen aid, over rated in my OP! I have a whirlpool that we got at a dent sale, and I love it, I think the less bells and whistles the better, one thing I do like is the delay start time, great for when you have to leave and are afraid to have it over flow or something.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 1:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• I can loan you my 14 yo :)
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 12:51 PM on Dec. 16, 2013