Can a Catholic who marries a non-Christian receive Holy Communion?

By Church law is a catholic who's married to a Muslim allowed to receive penance and communion?

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I would think so. I mean it doesn't change the original status. But, if the church doesn't allow it, then honestly I'd re-think the church.

Answer by 3libras at 2:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Yes, because the marriage is invalid in the church's eyes.

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Yes, if he or she is still practicing the Catholic faith. At leat that's how it is at the church here locally (or was when I was still practicing twenty-some years ago.) Rule may vary.

Answer by Ballad at 3:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Yes, but they have to marry in the catholic church and by a catholic priest. Which means they have to agree to raise the children catholic.

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Yes.

Answer by Dardenella at 4:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• No they do not have to marry in the Church SB. They are not married in the eyes of the Church unless they are married in the Catholic Church but as long as she is stilla practicing Catholic, there is no reason that she can not receive Holy Communion.

Answer by Dardenella at 4:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Depends on the church. Some will believe you are living in sin since you are keeping a marriage bed but not married (in the eyes of the church that is). If the spouse when through the classes in order to get married in the church then it may be different. Personally I have found that all churches are different when it comes to this stuff even though they are Catholic they do not all follow the same rules.

• Found this on

"However, if a Catholic enters marriage outside of the Catholic Church without the necessary dispensation, then the marriage is considered invalid and is not recognized by the Church. Moreover, this action places the person in a state of mortal sin. For instance, if a Catholic marrying either another Catholic or anyone else just decides to be married in some other Church or by a Justice of the Peace, that marriage is invalid. While such a marriage may have legal standing in the eyes of the state, it has no legitimate standing in the eyes of the Church."

If their was no dispensation, and there's no intent to correct the insufficiency, it seems the Catholic is no longer eligible for communion or confession. At least not in the Roman church.

Check out the Episcopalian church; all the ceremony you know without dispensations.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:14 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I would say YES!!!

Answer by older at 6:42 PM on Dec. 27, 2013

• yes. my nana is catholic and was married to a jewish man. He did convert (to what I'm not sure) though. She received counion. She attended church every sunday and if she missed it she watched it on tv.

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:53 AM on Dec. 31, 2013