my shitzu is soo itchy ! NO FLEAS.I GIVE HIM 2 TO 3 BENADRYLS A DAY CAUSE IT DOES NOT LAST I GIVE HI FLEA BATHS BUT HE STILL ITCHES. PLEASE HELP !!

HIS FOOD IS PEDIGREE .WE HAVE ANOTHER SHITZU AND NO PROBLEMS !

Simone R.

Asked by Simone R. at 2:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2013 in Pets

• Change his food. Just because one isn't allergic to it doesn't me he isn't. Oatmeal baths may help.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 2:57 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• why the yelling?
    The flea bath is what is drying out his skin, he might have an allergy to carpets, grass, anything why don't you yell at your vet instead of us?
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 2:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Dinovite.com
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 3:03 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Look at his food. Find a food without whatever the top three ingredients in his current food are. Odds are very good the dog will stop itching, but be sure to change the food gradually over several days to avoid diarrhea.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• This should go under PETS.

ASK YOUR VET.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• When was the last time you had him groomed? Use an oatmeal based soothing shampoo a learn how to do deep tissue massage. The is a spray that you can work into the skin. Brush him often daily or more and stimulate his oil glands and remove dry skin.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:14 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• VETERINARIAN

2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:43 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Has your vet approved the benadryl? Human meds can have the complete opposite effect on animals ... and some can kill them. How often were you bathing him? It sounds to me that his skin needs to be left alone for a while to get better. In any case, I'd take him to the vet for his/her opinion before doing anything else.
    goldpandora

Answer by goldpandora at 5:53 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• There are many types of skin issues that have NOTHING to do with fleas or food. If you are bathing too often that can cause dry skin especially if using flea shampoo. I would call the vet and see what they have to say.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:40 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I would stop bathing him in flea shampoo. Get something with Oatmeal. How often do you bath him? If you are bathing to often that could be apart of the problem. Also pedigree is CRAP (it is the equivalence of Twinkies). I would definently get him on a better food. But you should have the vet look at him because he could have a skin condition that requires antibiotics.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 7:04 AM on Dec. 19, 2013