how to deal with toddler who cries so hard at bedtime he vomits?

sometimes toddler cries at night so hard he vomits...what to do about this?

redbird151

Asked by redbird151 at 3:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2013 in Toddlers (1-2)

• What is he upset about?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• WHY?
    Afraid of the dark?
    New place?
    Away from you?
    Lost a comfort item?
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 3:29 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Sounds to me like he is over tired, maybe he needs a nap during the day? What is your night time routine? Do you give him a bath, get him relaxed, read to him? Any changes?
    Something is making him afraid, I don't know what.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 3:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• You will not like my answer.

If he is doing this simply because he does not want to go to bed., let him get a good cry going and then spank him on the bottom It needs to be hard enough to get his attention.
    Some children will do this as manipulation but it gets out of control. You are the parent and you have to break the pattern
    I would then wash his face with a cool wash cloth and lay him down.

You say that is enough of that when you spank him, or something similar..
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 4:09 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Do you have him on a rotine at bedtime?

Answer by louise2 at 4:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Honestly I would let him sleep in my bed. No child should cry like that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 5:13 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Does he have separation anxiety? Night terrors? Is he afraid of the dark? I agree with mompam, I'd let him sleep with me if it's THAT bad.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:02 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• This could be night terrors, afraid of the room/dark, etc. It could also be good old fashioned stellar manipulation. Try to figure out what he is afraid of. What do you do with him after he has worked himself into this frenzy? Does he go in your bed and win? Or does he end up falling asleep. I would not let him sleep with me unlike others. I would sit with him in his room all night if I needed to, to break the habit.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 8:20 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Could he be crying because he's about to vomit? When the muscle that closes the stomach from the throat fails...stomach acid backs up the throat and it burns painfully. Call it acid reflux, heartburn or GERD. After learning that laying flat in bed burns his throat...he cries because he knows he's going to be burned again. High fat foods relax this muscle. (Meat, cheese, milk) Have him stop eating at least two hours before bedtime. Water instead of milk before bedtime. A pediatric ENT can put a camera scope up his down his throat to see if he has acid erosion scars...evidence of GERD and then prescribe something for it. I'd snuggle him in a semi-dark, warm room and read him stories until he fell asleep and then carry him to his room. Once falling asleep is peaceful...then try read/snuggling in his room again semi-dark and warm. If you can find a CD player that can be set to replay...add a classical or lullaby CD.
    vanillaorchida

Answer by vanillaorchida at 2:43 AM on Dec. 17, 2013