So disapointed...

We thought we was not going to be able to get our kids anything much for Christmas. We got a few inexpensive things over the last few months so they would have some stuff to open. They are not rotten kids they apreciate everything but it's not stuff they asked for or stuff they been really looking at. Well, DH found out hes getting a bonus on Thurday and it is a decent bit of money so we decided to go get the kids a few things they really want. Well it is to late cause everything they have been looking at is sold out. I am still gonna get them some more things that I think they will like a lot but I am kinda sad that I can't get them any of the stuff they been really really wanting. I know its not a big deal cause they won't even really care. They will just be happy to open stuff but I care cause I wanted them to be suprised with stuff they love.

Were you able to get at least one thing off your kids list? Do they notice the stuff that ain't there? Do they notice if the stuff they get is not stuff they been looking at and wanting? This is the first time they will be getting nothing off of there specific list. I usually try to get one thing at lease.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:48 PM on Dec. 16, 2013 in Holidays

• Why do we as parents do this to ourselves? You got them gifts. You say they will appreciate them. Why can you not just enjoy the spirit of the season? Why does so much guilt over commercialism have to always come in to play?

Be grateful that you and your husband are able to give them so much more than so many children will have this season.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 5:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• I got several things that they wanted from their lists, but that doesn't happen every year. I always make sure that what I do get is stuff they will like, and they never notice what they wanted that isn't there.

Don't stress yourself out so much.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:10 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Use just a little bit of the bonus to get them a few cool things, then hold the rest back.. After Christmas when things are restocked, and probably cheaper, buy them then. Have a "mid winter blahs party"... or a "just bc we love you party" and give them to them then... :)
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• My kids don't do lists. One of the benefits of their autism diagnosis. There's not much they "want" so it's my best guess what I think they would like. I could wrap stuff they already have and they would be just as thrilled because what they like is ripping paper. Hold out though because ToyRUs gets trucks in daily this time of year. You still might be able to score a desired item.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Honestly, kids are glad to be loved and given your time and affection. Unless they're truly spoiled, that's what matters most to them over the long haul. That's what they'll remember looking back.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 6:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Give them each the AMOUNT the item would have cost, take them shopping after Christmas...see how bad they REALLY wanted it
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 6:54 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• If I can't find something specific they wanted for Christmas, they know they will probably have it on their B-day. For 2 of them, it's not a very long wait from Christmas. I think you should be happy you were able to provide a nice Christmas for your family & not beat yourself up over something like this.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• My 7yr old didn't have anything specific he wanted, so I didn't have to worry about it, the 1yr old s happy with anything. I only get them a few things, I wont get him anything expensive like an ipod, ipad, all the crazy gadgets all the kids seem to have now days. So I think for my 2 kids and nephew I spent under $100.
    CKel

Answer by CKel at 8:55 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• My kids list was easy. A chocolate Santa and a lalaloopsy doll.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 9:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• A gift is something that is given out of love. It should not matter if it is this specific toy, or outfit.
    You could not afford it. You thought ahead so three would be something to let them know that they were remembered.
    Next year if all looks good, you might be able to get the special gift.. It always amazes me that the thing they just had to have often is forgotten withing a week or so. LOL. Don't get me wrong there is that one that will stick with them. Try to enjoy what they do have and count your blessings.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 9:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2013