Why is he all of a sudden so scared of people?

My 7 month old used to smile and giggle whenever he met someone new. Now EVERYONE that talks to him makes him cry. Is this just a phase? Is there someone I can do to help him not be so scared? He even does it when I'm holding him.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its seperation anxiety all babies go through that
    mmtosam06

Answer by mmtosam06 at 1:17 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• But he's not separated from me?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:18 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• My son also did that i honestly do not think there is anything to worry about i think it is a phase they will grow out of it.
    armywife_mom28

Answer by armywife_mom28 at 1:18 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• mama it doesnt matter im a sahm my dd was the same way at that age
    mmtosam06

Answer by mmtosam06 at 1:19 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• It's called Stranger Danger. It develops at around 6 months and is very, very normal. He has become very aware of his surroundings and is just not sure about them. This is not something you have caused, it's a normal phase of development. Now, is the time to help him get used to strangers. Reassure him that it is ok to smile and giggle at new people.

RissaBusch

Answer by RissaBusch at 9:41 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Stranger anxiety. My son has it from time to time. It's just a phase because they can even do it with family they don't see all the time.
    SouthALMommy

Answer by SouthALMommy at 7:07 PM on Feb. 20, 2009

• my son started that at 5 months, and now at 21 months he still does it sometimes. he just has stranger anxiety, there's not really anything you can do about it. don't try to force him to let other people hold him or anything, it can make it worse. just reassure him and comfort him, and let people know he has stranger anxiety and it's not them.
    tstep972

Answer by tstep972 at 11:00 PM on Feb. 20, 2009