Why do my kids eat so much! I can't afford this.

they eat SO much yet they are thin as rails. DD 6 tonight ate 2 apples, a HUGE serving of green beans and a whole sloppy Joe. DS 9 at TWO sloppy Joes, 2 HUGE servings of green beans and 2 apples and still wanted more but I had to tell him 'no' I just can not afford for them to eat this much. What kills me is I am FAT and all I ate was 1 sloppy Joe a small serving of green beans and one apple... I was STUFFED. I don'[t get it at all.

Is this normal!? They just had a snack of a cheese slice and about 6 crackers 2 hours ago...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2013 in Food & Drink

• They are younger, have a higher metabolism, and require more food to nourish their growing bodies.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 6:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Yes, all normal
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• A child's body has a lot of work to do.

That said, I notice a couple of things. First, the snack you mention is really small. A single slice of cheese and six crackers isn't much for kids their age. They're likely coming to the table very hungry. Second, the meal you served was fairly low calorie, all things considered. If you used beef and Manwich sauce you're looking at about 300 calories for the sandwich but not much for the green beans or apples.

It might help if you look for healthy, heartier meals and snacks that are a little more robust. Hummus is very inexpensive to make and is really filling, just as an example.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 6:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• that's not alot of food IMO

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:38 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• If your kids are thin and hungry you should feed them.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• Growing kids should eat as much as they desire, specially if they are thin....

Answer by older at 6:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• My kids have always been thin as rails, yet eat constantly. Wait until yours are teenagers. It's only going to get worse. You just have to find inventive ways to feed them. If you'd put peanut butter on the crackers they had for a snack, and gave them a slice of cheese, then it would have filled them up a lot more. Try to add to things there are already eating... like pb on the apple, or something it will help...
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:47 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• OMG, who tells a kid I cant afford to feed you so stop eating????
    Give them a bowl of cereal for snacks if you have to but don't tell your kids you cant feed them!

My kid old will eat a bowl of cereal for breakfast, have a snack before lunch is ready eat lunch another snack and then wolf down dinner with a snack before bed. I would buy food for my kid and just say I wasn't hungry before I said you cant eat because I cant afford to feed you.

I also agree your choices are not so good and healthy is not much more expensive and can be much more filling.
    Anonymous

• Trade the crackers for one of the apples with the cheese at snack time, or substitute it with oatmeal. Serve a second veggie along with some brown rice at dinner. Stick to plain, frozen veggies (no sauces or butter on them) - they're cheaper than fresh, but healthier since they're frozen immediately instead of getting old or picked early to accommodate shipping time. You want more healthy fiber sources - not food with fake fiber added, but natural fiber. That will fill them more without adding empty calories - brown rice, beans, oatmeal (real oatmeal out of the big canister, not instant packets, only takes a few minutes in the microwave), veggies.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:16 PM on Dec. 16, 2013

• If you think that they are eating a lot now, wait. My teen son can eat 4 slices of pizza for dinner, then go out with a friend and eat an entire Chipotle burrito. And he is rail thin. We joke that his middle name is "gonna eat that?!"

Please don't tell your children that you cannot afford to continue to feed them like they are eating. It can lead to some serious eating disorders/food issues. Look into healthier more filling choices instead.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 8:41 PM on Dec. 16, 2013