How can I stop biting my nails... for good?

I've been biting my nails since I was 5 , and I really want to stop. I've stopped several times, but went back to my old habit a few months later. I know it's gross and unhealthy... I know it looks bad. My husband has asked me to stop because he has seen me with nails and says my hands are pretty that way.
So my question is... Have any of you ladies bitten your nails in the past, and have stopped for good? How did you do it?

brandyj

Asked by brandyj at 1:19 AM on Feb. 20, 2009 in Health

• i havent but try acrilic those are hard to bite probably works
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Well for puppies (NOT IMPLYING ANYTHING) :) But you could pick up some AppleBitter spray (something like that) and spray it on your nails. Otherwise, think of what you hate the taste of (that does not smell TOO bad) and put it on your nails!!! Maybe that will help!
    alexandersmom03

Answer by alexandersmom03 at 1:26 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I have chewed off all kind of fake nails. I will be following this to see what ideas are given. I am 31 and still chew mine.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 1:27 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Well, a while back I got some stuff to paint on my nails... It's clear nailpolish called Stop the Bite... and it tastes like earwax. It worked for me for a while, but I prepare the food around here; so having nasty tasting stuff on my fingertips won't really work.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:48 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• brandyi-
    You make a great point...who wants their food to taste like earwax? The problem is (no experience here) that sometimes you do not even realize that you are bitting your nails. Maybe washing your hands right before you prepare food and then IMMEDIATELY spraying the stuff would help????
    My problem is that I pick my nails...not much to do there! (I think)
    alexandersmom03

Answer by alexandersmom03 at 2:06 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• I used to be a terrible nail biter but I quit in my early 20's and have never bitten them since, unfortunately my method is too drastic for you.  I broke my jaw in an accident and had my jaw wired shut for 6 weeks.

To stop biting your nails is IMO more difficult than quitting smoking (and I've done both).  What helps me, is keeping my nails manicured and polished.  Who wants to bite beautiful long nails? LOL.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:01 AM on Feb. 20, 2009

• Ever wonder where the bitten-off fingernails go? When my brother had his ruptured appendix removed, his doctor showed him the contents of his appendix. It was full of little black seeds and fingernail tips. To say the least, my brother quit chewing his nails after seeing that.
    Foundatlast

Answer by Foundatlast at 4:29 PM on Feb. 20, 2009