This happened 2 weeks ago it was on a friday noone answered so i was going to call first thing monday morning which would been last week but i completely forgot is it to late to call them?

At the school my kids go to they aren't allowed to talk at lunch not even so much as whisper if they do the entire lunch room has to put down their heads wether they are in the middle of eating or not so then they don't get to finish their lunch. So when I first heard about this I called the school the principle said they do do that because if kids talk they don't eat.

Well then my dd came home from school not last Friday but the Friday before She told me that a friend of hers told her a joke at lunch and my dd laughed (this was as soon as she got her lunch before sitting down) I guess she had to go dump her tray and go sit on the stage so she didn't get to eat lunch at lunch time, but I guess she told her music teacher she was hungry I guess he said didnt you just eat lunch but she told him that the teacher made her throw it out so she did get to eat lunch as he let her but she had to go eat in the nurses office and it wasn't until 2 that she got to eat (they get out of school at 230). So I was going to call the school on Monday last week since they didn't answer that Friday but I completely forgot to call them just remembered about it yesterday. Is it to late to call them? I want to see what they tell me of why my dd couldnt eat lunch and let them know if it continues I will go to the bored of education

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:40 AM on Dec. 17, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is absolutely not too late. They are depriving children of food as punishment - if we, as parents, did that, the schools would have CPS all over us for neglect, abuse, and any other thing they could throw at us. I would go straight to the principal, with the superintendent, and I would make clear that if I'm not satisfied, I'll be going to be the news stations, too. That would be absolutely unacceptable to me.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 10:04 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• i would call
    i would be ALL OVER THIS SITUATION!

that sounds insane
    is this a private school?
    would be shocked to know that a public school would do something so stupid, and open themselves up to trouble

you just not not do that
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 8:50 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• That makes no sense at all. Why didn't they just make her or the joke teller go sit alone at another table or closer to where the teacher is? Making them dump their food seems unreasonable, especially when they make the quiet time all about eating their food. I would probably start at the school and work my way up. I would want to hear it from them that this was their policy, then I would take it to the school board or district administration.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 8:57 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• It's never to late to raise a fuss over this! Hmm...kids don't eat when they talk and if they get caught talking they are not allowed to eat? It's a silly unenforcable policy that is failing. Be sure to point that out.
    tessiedawg

Answer by tessiedawg at 9:37 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I would go eat lunch there a couple times to see what is really going on.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 9:47 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I tend to agree with Anon. I've worked at the school and I know they want the kids to be quiet so they can eat, but I also know that they would never NOT let a child eat. Back in the day, they made the kids who talked sit with their trays on the floor by the wall. I think I would go talk to the school. She may not be telling you the real story.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:10 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Yes,call the district superintendent.
    That is beyond ridiculous. Making all the kids go hungry because one talks?! That seems like it would make that kid a target for bullying and getting beat up
    FFS,is this a military school?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:50 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• The heck with calling school I would be calling every TV news station in my area. That goes beyond reasonable.
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 8:53 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• That is one of the dumbest rules I've ever heard. When are these kids supposed to unwind a little?! At my child's school, the last 5 mins. is quiet time so they can settle down & clean up before heading back to class. But to have them be quiet the whole lunch AND not be fed if they dare speak or laugh is almost inhumane. I would be calling the principal, the superintendent & the school board to get this resolved. If they won't correct the situation, then local news would be getting a call to investigate. I like the idea of the Dr.'s notes & going up there to have lunch too.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 9:56 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• They can't TALK at lunch? Are you kidding me? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I mean sure, some kids don't eat when they're distracted (like my 5 year old) but don't punish them all!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2013