I have a 10 year old daughter who wants a sewing machine I know nothing about them and this would be her first time using one I don't want to get her one that can harm her or be to difficult .

Unikuestar

Asked by Unikuestar at 9:50 AM on Dec. 17, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• Go to JoAnns or a quilting shop. Talk to the people that deal with the machines. I would suggest a low end used bernina or a new singer ans long as you get her sewing lessons to go with it. It Should run you between $80 and $200.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 10:01 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 10:02 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I teach sewing lessons, and machine owner's lessons.

Here are the the things I would look for.

1. a top loading bottom. A side loading bobbin is more difficult to work with, and has more bobbin jams.

2. A side spool pin, also better for bobbin jams

3. what kind of fabric do you want to be able to sew on? The less expensive machines have smaller motors, that's part of how they keep them cheaper. they are not meant for heavier weight fabrics, may struggle and can burn out the motor. Truly, they are only meant for lightweight cotton fabrics.

Depending on your budget, my first choice would be the Husqvarna Viking Emerald 116 or 118. If you are trying to keep the price lower, keep in mind that the newer Singers and Brothers have more plastic parts, are made to keep the price down and will probably only last 5-7 years.....depending on how they are used.

The three manufacturers that duke it out for number 1 in qu
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:17 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I would go to a fabric shop that offers free lessons with purchase so she can learn how to use the machine. My personal choice would be a Singer with just a few stitch choices.
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 10:19 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• continued:

in quality are Bernina, Husqvarna Viking and Pfaff.

Singer and Brother are now your low end machines, and I would say that Janome would be a mid range machine.

I do agree that you should go to an independent dealer, or if your JoAnn's has a Viking Sewing Gallery (not all JoAnn's do....some just sell machines and don't have support). A dealer or Sewing Gallery store will give free owner's lessons to teach you about the needles, bobbins (using the wrong ones can damage your machine or produce poor sewing quality) how to thread it and wind a bobbin, and how to use some of the basic stitches on the machine.

Of the Singer machines, I would say if she won't be sewing on heavy fabrics a Singer 3321 or 3323 would be okay, If she wants to be able to sew on heavier fabrics I'd spend a little more and go with a Curvy 8763. Again, these cheaper machines are cheaper made, but can be an okay way for a child to start.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:22 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• For me it would be Has she sewed anything before? If she hasn't then I wouldn't spend a ton of money on it but try to find a good quality used sewing machine first. There are tons out there you just have to know what you're looking for. My serger I found at a going out of business sale. It ran $500 new but since it was out of the box and they were going out of business I got it for $50. My mom's broke and she borrowed it to finish off a wedding dress. She didn't want to give it back! Said it was better then the one she paid $600 for. My current sewing machine is a Sears that was given to me by an older lady. My dh oiled it and it works wonderful! Before that I had a Koyo that I used for almost 30 years! Not sure if they still have them or not but I'd buy another in a heartbeat.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 12:35 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I think that any time my children want to learn somthing to improve there lives I am in for it. I also get them to write out and sighn a contract to promise to use whatever......That way,if they loose interest,or deside they dont like it I can show them the contract to hopefully get them back into it.I also ask them,If they abuse this puchase what is the likelyhood of them getting the next thing they want.
    Janelle A.

Answer by Janelle A. at 2:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• If you want honest reviews by owners: http://sewing.patternreview.com/SewingMachine/

There's a feature search there, and links to articles about buying machines, and a message board full of people willing to help you.

Most sewing machine owners are *very* brand loyal(I'm a dedicated Brother girl), and preferences are completely subjective.

The best thing you can do is take your daughter to a dealer that has several brands and let her sew on a couple in your price range. They all feel very different when you sew, and she'll develop a preference for a machine.

Things to look for: Speed control(so she can sew slowly while she learns), and a one-step button-holer. Both will save her a lot of frustration.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 3:57 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I like what all the moms have said.
    I think it's wonderful that your daughter is interested in sewing.
    I wish I would have learned when I was that age.
    Tell her to go for it and do her best!!
    She's got a lot of moms here that wish the best for her.
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 6:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Thank you mom"s so much for your input its truly been a help!👍
    Unikuestar

Comment by Unikuestar (original poster) at 7:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2013