How to make a child comfortable while she battles the flu? What do you do?

My daughter is eight and yes we gave her the flu vaccine. She now has a "mild" strain. It could be worse. She has a fever on and off again of about 102 and lower. Sometimes vomiting. Mostly she was dehydrated. She tested positive for the flu. About 12 other kids in her class have the same symptoms. If they tested positive I do not know. Some I know their parents decided to not take them to the doctor and ride this out.

I have cold cloths on her head. She is watching cartoons. Has a small baking sheet of Legos by her bed. She takes small sips of juice through the day with much encouragement, hates drinking right now. She does not want any type of food.

What things do you do for your child when sick? She is super lonely and a bit whiny. Wants me with her 24/7. I slept with her last night but sleeping in a twin bed is not all that comfortable with two people. I read my book in there while she watches t.v.

Any advice on how other mothers make it through these long sick days would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Dec. 17, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Motrin

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 10:42 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I would get her to drink pedialite, it will help replace electrolytes and is just a healthier choice while she is sick, they also have lollipops and I think popsicles.

Mostly I would encourage her to sleep. You don't have to sit right next to her, just check on her regularly.

I always let mine watch movies, and made them soup or did the brat diet if they were up to food.

Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 10:46 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Thanks! It is exhausting. I will try Motrin and switch from Tylenol. It does not appear to be bringing her fever down the way I would have hoped. It is moving it some. Just not really reaching it. Cartoons all day would suit her but it sure drives me crazy!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:26 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Call your doctors office, but when I couldn't get my son's fever down with Tylenol, they told me to give him motrim every 4 hours, but then Tylenol 2 hours after I started the motrin and every for hours so they were overlapping but staggered.

Ask your doctor first, but this helped.

The other thing that worked better than oral medicine was the tylenol suppositories.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:37 AM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I let my kids snuggle on the couch with lots of pillows & blankets. Lots of water, juice or ginger ale. Light meals like soup & crackers. Rotate childrens Tylenol & childrens motrin.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Cold Popsicles or sips of Pedialite, lots of kisses or cuddles unless the poor thing wants to be left alone to sleep. I always found that propping the child up to sleep seemed to help. And soft music always seemed soothing for mine.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 3:22 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Stagger motrin and tylenol by two hours each. Pedialite and Popsicles are good for dehydration. Rice, toast, and applesauce are all good things for her to eat that wont be too hard on her tummy. And other than that, just try to remember that she is clingy because she needs comfort. It is exhausting for you, but so helpful to her to know that she isn't alone and that even if you can't make her feel better you will be by her side while she feels nasty.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 5:09 PM on Jan. 29, 2014

• Soup, cuddling and stories
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 9:06 PM on Apr. 16, 2014