Children gun safety.

how do you teach a kid of firearms safety?

Pollydade

Asked by Pollydade at 12:38 PM on Dec. 17, 2013 in Kids' Health

• I don't have guns!
    DJDNY

Answer by DJDNY at 12:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• How do you teach a child to leave sharp knives alone, or their proper use? How do you teach the about power tools and lawn mowers and cars? The same way.
    There are classes to be certified when they are older and you lock down the guns regardless of their knowledge.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 1:11 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Have them take the hunters safety course.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:47 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Well, like Dora the Explorer says, let's stop and think. How old is the kid? When a child is too young to comprehend the complexities of guns and their dangers, like say, in my opinion, eleven or twelve, maybe ten or fourteen depending on culture and maturity level, lock the firearms and ammo up tight. End of story. When the kid is old enough, talk, talk, talk. Explain the risks. Sign the kid up for hunters' safety. Take him or her out shooting. Explain the risks again. Blow a watermelon or a red paint can to smitherines so Johnny orSusie can see how far the blood will splatter if he or she accidentally forgets to check whether a gun is loaded before pointing it at a buddy and acting like John Wayne. Make guns, gun safety, and responsibility part of your daily lives. Make the value of life part of who you are as a person and as a family.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:15 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:42 AM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:45 AM on Dec. 18, 2013

• At Least 194 Children Have Been Shot to Death Since Newtown
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Dec. 18, 2013

• The National Rifle Association offers training that starts as early as pre-K. The training is essentially "Don't touch! If you find a gun, tell an adult."

Here's a link to the site: http://eddieeagle.nra.org

Answer by gdiamante at 1:17 AM on Dec. 18, 2013

• We have five guns in our home, my husband hunts. We have not hidden that they are here and they are not to be touched. Gun safety/hunters safety courses don't start until age 12 officially, my husband has made no bones about telling the kids the guns are dangerous. They will kill people and animals. There are rules to be followed. We do not make the guns fearful to them and we don't mince words over what they can do. My husband taught me to load and fire the guns so that I am an educated gun owner. My children have seen them shot and what happens to the target when it was hit. They are 9,6 and 3 years old. That being said, our guns are locked and UNLOADED at all times in is house. Two people have the code.....my husband and I. It is a way for me to defend our home if my husband is gone, and I would not hesitate to use it to protect my children. Thankfully, we live in a safe, crime free neighborhood. Be open and honest!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 4:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2013

• Teach them to treat every gun as if it is loaded and cocked. NEVER treat firearms lightly, your children will observe how you handle and talk about firearms and that will translate into how they handle and talk about firearms. Teach them to shoot properly. Openly talk about the risks and dangers. Keep them locked up. Make your children take hunters safety courses. Just kind of go through the safety process you would for any thing else that you teach your children (crossing the street, using knives, driving a vehicle, etc) Knowledge is power.
    theMOMmission

Answer by theMOMmission at 5:06 PM on Jan. 29, 2014