I have plans to move out-of-state [California to be exact]?

I know of course that I need housing, a job, and child care. I'm nervous about moving, because I have never lived out-of-state. However, I believe that I will be making the best decision for my child and I. Any other advice cafemoms can give me regarding relocating to another city? Thanks in advance

Diamond2010

Asked by Diamond2010 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2013 in Travel

• At the very least have a job lined up before you move. Research to see what areas you would like to target. If you can, do a weekend trip to some of the areas to see how you would like living there.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Where in California do you plan on moving to? I'm in Los Angeles.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 1:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Diamond, can you clarify? Are you moving TO California or FROM California? And if "to," where to? Is there a job already lined up?

Answer by gdiamante at 2:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Also, what skills do you have for work?

I'm in the Inland Empire, north of San Diego, east of Los Angeles.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I've heard that California can be expensive compared to other states, but I'm not from there so I wouldn't know for sure.

I agree with everyone else
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• "I've heard that California can be expensive compared to other states,"

Wages are also higher, however. State minimum will increase to $9/hr on July 1 2014, and to $10/hr on Jan 1 2016.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Good luck, hope you're well off. Our apt in the hood was1200 a month plus utilities. Have a job before you go.
    funlovinlady

Answer by funlovinlady at 3:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• It is expensive to live their, in California.

Answer by louise2 at 4:33 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• We lived in Wyoming for 6 years, and I grew up in Ohio, although I was born here in Los Angeles. I did a lot of research before we moved to Wyoming.

What I found is that for the most part finances balance out. Housing is higher here than most places, but medical, and food are less expensive. Our utilty bills are dirt. We rarely use a heater, and we don't even have an air conditioner, although I would say there are one or two weeks every autumn that we would use it.

My husband's pay here as opposed to Wyoming is nearly twice as much......our house payment although higher than Wyoming didn't double. College for the kids was cheaper there....if they graduated from high school there.

Do your research, and definitely I would try to have a job before you move.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:50 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Have you considered trying a less expensive state?
    I know our home would be worth $500,000-$600,000 there.
    And it's only 1800 sq ft, but we do have a 36x48 garage and 7 acres. We only paid about $130,000 here.
    A lot of people have moved to TN because of the ridiculous cheap prices on land and homes here. We have a lot of transplants from up north too, because of this.
    It's a great place to live. Lots of entertainment in the Nashville and Chattanooga areas as well.
    AubreyRed

Answer by AubreyRed at 5:59 PM on Dec. 17, 2013