Do you have any special plans for your kids on New Year's Eve? Do you have any suggestions for me?

We like to do something on New Year's Eve to leave the year with a bang or on New Year's Day to start the year with a bang. One year we went caving for the first time. Last year the weather was horrible and we didn't get to do anything. This year I keep running into obstacles. We were going to stay at The Hike Inn where you have to hike 5 miles to get to the inn. I called a few months ago and they were already booked. I found out yesterday that they had an opening but then it was too late to take New Year's Eve off (I have the afternoon of New Year's Eve off and I have New Year's Day off). 

Today, I found out about a sleepover at the aquarium, but of course they are already sold out. So, now I have two questions. Do you have suggestions for an adventurous New Year's Eve/Day? Do you have any plans?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 2:37 PM on Dec. 17, 2013 in Holidays

• No We celebrate New Year's Eve pretty quietly. We stay up (if we can) and toast the new year. The kids would have sparkling grape juice.
    The kind of things you describe we did on vacations.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Wait how about sky diving or a hot air balloon ride?
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 2:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Skydiving- I am adventurous but not that adventurous, lol. I do have plans to go hang gliding for my birthday this summer. Sky diving will be saved for my 80th birthday. As far as a Hot Air Balloon ride, I did look into that but most of them are only available during the Spring or Fall at festivals. 

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 2:52 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• When staying home our tradition was Monopoly games with chips and dips and TV watching the ball fall in NY. I also made little sandwiches with party rye. This was big treat for the kids (often requested for birthdays too)
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 2:55 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• We are doing similar things to others. Don't know if my son will make it to midnight but we will have a family game night, make homemade pizza and have some fun drinks etc.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• We stay home. We wait for the ball to drop at midnight, and play board and card games, drink soda (it's the one time a year they get "unlimited" soda) and snack, maybe watch some movies, and just have fun.
    wendythewriter

Answer by wendythewriter at 6:07 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• We have been to a First Night celebration and stayed at a hotel in the area. Since we do not do Christmas, my son gets gifts on New Years eve at midnight.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 6:51 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• We have done first Night as well. We were part of the entertainment though, LOL

Have you ever ridden on a train? Why not take a short trip somewhere and back?
    I do not know about your area but sometime close to New Years the star gazers club has a night of stargazing in the park. I can't say I have ever thought that enjoyable in the snow and cold.
    Here on the 4th the in a run, again I do not know about your area.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:23 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I'm with Dardenella on this one: that sounds like vacation plans. I have joint custody with my children's father and we switch off New Year's Eve every year. This year I have my kids. I will make something special for dinner and then we will play board games, watch a movie, and watch the ball drop. I'm thinking I will join the kids in drinking sparkling grape juice this year so that I can get all the Christmas stuff down and packed up the next day.

I'm so excited that this is my last New Year's that I will be in a different county than my SO :-)
    tempsingl3mom

Answer by tempsingl3mom at 7:46 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I like the train idea. I will have to look into that. 

Yes, these may seem like things that you would do on vacation. We typically don't take a week long vacation. Instead we do a few weekend vacation throughout the year and at least one day trip of adventures once a month.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 7:58 PM on Dec. 17, 2013