Moving out of state

I need some advice ... I've been considering moving out of state, I live in Indiana( northern part). I know I'll need a job,housing, child care and such. My plan is to have a job before I leave Indy and to have a place to live. But what should I do when considering a state to live? I mean how should I choose where to live? I'm goin to be a cosmetologist so finding a job won't be too hard. Any advice will b help full

rachel216

Asked by rachel216 at 3:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2013 in Travel

• Well what things are important to you? School districts? Proximity to a larger city, smaller city, small town?? look at minimum wages for each state as well just in case.

Look into what kind of certification you would need for cosmetology in each state, housing costs, daycare costs compared with how much you would be making. Safety of the area.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Examine the educational opportunities for your child. We looked at schools first when we bought our house and our son wasn't even conceived!

What are you seeking in your move? That can help you decide. We moved to be closer to family and to be able to own a home. Prior to that, I went where there was work for me (I'm a TV news producer and that sort of dictates where you wind up).

You will need to get re-licensed wherever you go so examine the requirements of different states.

Your profile says engaged? If that's still true, what does your partner do and will work be found easily anywhere?

Answer by gdiamante at 3:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I just need a change! I have family all over. I'm no longer engaged and do not have a boyfriend or any partner at this time. Crime rates and schools are something I'll be looking into. I'm sure I can prob get a change if I moved a few towns down. I'd also prefer a small town or a small city. Honestly I've been considering southern states?
    rachel216

Comment by rachel216 (original poster) at 3:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I would list things that you want in your new town/state. Do you want to live near mountains, water, flat land? What amenities do you want in this ideal place ( a Wal-Mart, certain family attractions, close to the Interstate, etc). Start requesting state guides. You can normally go on the state's travel website and request one for free. See which areas most meet your needs/requirements. If you can visit a few of these places before you start looking for jobs.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 3:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Most people go where the job is. My Dh retired from the military in Oklahoma. He found a job in Arizona. Didn't like that job. So he looked for another job. Guess where he found a job. Back where we just left 2 years earlier. Here we are, back in Oklahoma. How fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We moved where the job was.

Answer by louise2 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• While you have family all over, is there anyone in the South who can be a support system? It will be especially important with 2 children.

You might take a map, mark where folks are and then start examining the towns in those areas. You'll be able to find information on school systems, available child care and any social services. You especially want to make sure that if you need WIC, you can get it without jumping through a gazillion hoops.

You can also check with the labor departments for those states to see how the job market looks for you in those areas. You don't want to move into a town that has one salon and dozens of unemployed cosmetologists beating down its door, you know?

And make sure that whatever move you make, it's in keeping with any custody agreements in place with the children's dad and that you won't have issues on the child support front.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:29 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I would first consider an area where you already have family, go for a weekend visit, see if you like the area and your closest relative ;)
    Its hard to just pick a city/state out of a hat and move there, it would also be hard on your kids to just move to somewhere they hve never been and without knowing anyone.
    CKel

Answer by CKel at 3:36 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• We found out if you have a job already when you move to your new location. You can claim the move on your taxes at the end of the year.

Answer by louise2 at 5:25 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Unless you're planning to go to Oklahoma or Alabama, expect your cost of living to be double what it is now.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:19 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• While I don't regret moving to Colorado, I truly regret moving away from my family. My youngest was only two when we moved here, and though I had my dh, I literally had no one else. He was working all the time, and I didn't have anyone to watch the kids if I had to go to the doctor or get my hair cut, etc. I was forced to drag them everywhere. Then there was the cost of living....
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 17, 2013