What am I going to do with the boy!!

Apparently after recess today my son decided to hide from everyone. The principle and everyone was looking for him!

They found him and he clipped down from Green to Orange(goes Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, blue, purple, pink). I would have clipped him to red!

So what shall his punishment be?

He is 6

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 17, 2013 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• One of my sons did this once. His punishment was a couple of weeks of never leaving my sight out of school hours. I told him I couldn't trust him to be where he should be. So if I was in the kitchen, so was he. Living room, ditto. Bathroom, he stood outside the door. No playing in his room, going outside unless I wanted to, going to friends, etc. In this day of increasing child abductions I wanted him to know it was a very very big deal to be where you are told
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Was this a "game" to him?

I think if it were me he could only play right in front of the teacher or monitor. If she moved to another area he would have to stop and go there too.

When I was director for the cub scout day camp, I had a wanderer. He just had so much energy. So I "made" him walk where I walked on one of my rounds. I went to every activity and rest area, once every hour. He walked with me the whole time and he was not in trouble. At the end of round one I asked if he thought he could stay with his group. I also told him that if he needed to walk he just needed to let me know on one of my walks and he could come along.
    About once a day he would feel the need and he became my "helper" for that hour.

Most kids hate having to do that though. LOL
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 7:17 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I like the idea of him becoming your shadow. My niece's husband did that to their teenage son when he skipped school. Clipped those wings! Considering your son is only 6 y/o, I'm thinking it was more of game to him. But he still needs to know how serious it was. He worried a lot of people.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 7:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• My son had did this once at school. We talked to him about it, but he was not punished for it.
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• He is punished because he knows it is wrong, was hiding(instead of say being lost and going up to a teacher or an adult and asking for help) when they were calling for him), and this isn't the first time. Though this is the first time he hasn't been found and was during recess. Last week they went to computers and he wandered of and showed up a minute or so later.

He is essentially grounded, he has had to spend the entire day so far sitting in the corner or on the couch(small apartment) and is doing homework and then off to bed in a few hours. No tv, no playing etc.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 8:01 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• http://www.imom.com/parenting/tweens/parenting/training/21-creative-consequences/

Get creative.... If things happen, give a dose of his own medicine- ( for this) hide all of the things he loves and let him look for them. After quite awhile- explain why you did it and tell him if it happens again, he won't get his things back. Explain how much worse it is for people who think something bad has happened to someone else and why it is wrong to make people worry.

Take each incident and think about new things and ways to discipline.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:24 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Thanks, LeJane, I bookmarked that site.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 11:31 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I would also have him write an apology note to the principal/staff.
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 11:39 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I would be questioning why he needs to hide. Bulling by other kids??????
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 4:06 AM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Considering your son is only 6 y/o, I'm thinking it was more of game to him. But he still needs to know how serious it was. He worried a lot of people.

My son had did this once at school. We talked to him about it, but he was not punished for it.

I do think it's important to let him know that it was serious & how it causes a problem for the people charged with his care. That doesn't require being punitive or angry, and I think resorting to punishment/force in order to convey that message isn't as effective because it shifts the child's focus to how things affect him. I know people think that this "solves" the problem because kids will be motivated to avoid punishment, which can be true, but the focus is on avoiding negative consequences not really on the behavior or the issues with it. And not getting caught/in trouble is as good as not having done something, when the GOAL is avoiding punishment!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 7:09 AM on Dec. 18, 2013