This deserves it's own post....

"The Bible is there for anyone's reading. All we have to do is pick it up and start reading it for ourselves. The problem with most, is they don't put any priority in their life to spend time reading their Bibles."

A statement like that assumes that the people who do not believe as this person have not read the Bible. When in fact many non-Christians have read the Bible and are very knowledgeable in that respect.

Don't you just love arrogant assumptions? Sigh...

Crafty26

Asked by Crafty26 at 9:21 PM on Dec. 17, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• You are right. Many people are very well educated on the Bible, and its various interpretations, and still do not find themselves inclined toward believing in what those interpretation have to say.

The assumption that if someone is merely exposed to the "truth" they will accept it is ridiculous. Not even all Christians come to the same interpretations, and one cannot imply that coming to a different interpretation means that someone hasn't spent enough time studying their Bible. To the contrary, many of us actually do our homework in studying the history, development, and so on, and realize that the "mainstream" interpretations that we see so popular today are nothing like what Jesus would have actually taught in the first place.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• My dad used to quote the bible verbatim and he was the most anti-religious person. It was kind of interesting watching him go back and forth with religious relatives. For every quote they had, he could give a counter quote back.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 9:34 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Most people who do research religion do read the bible, most people who take the bible word for word, have never read the whole thing, of any other biblical teachings. GOOD post.
    2kids2dogs2cats

Answer by 2kids2dogs2cats at 10:08 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• Many of you have more in depth knowledge than I. I was raised in church and have NEVER read the whole Bible. One of my dearest friends who is agnostic can tell me more than I can tell you
    luvmygrandgirl

Answer by luvmygrandgirl at 9:28 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I am starting to think that this is not her first screen name

She flat out admitted it - says she's here for 3 years on an acct less than a year old
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• "The Bible is there for anyone's reading. All we have to do is pick it up and start reading it for ourselves"

And that is the whole problem, imo. Any dumbass can pick up a Bible, interpret it any way they want, and claim to know all about their religion because of it.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:49 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• To assume that reading the Bible will automatically make someone believe is not only arrogant it is ignorant. I know many more Atheists, Agnostics and people of other faith who have read the entire Bible than I know Christians who have read the whole thing.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 11:27 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I have no ideal what you're talking about, but had to say I cracked up when I saw your avatar! Love the Santa Hat, lol
    KTElite

Answer by KTElite at 10:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I am starting to think that this is not her first screen name.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:41 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• I think there's a component of some people read the Bible and it just rings so true with them they assume it will have the same effect on anyone who reads it. My mom can be that way although she isn't a pain about it. But sometimes things I read in the Bible confuse me a little but it just flows for her
    Nimue930

Answer by Nimue930 at 12:53 AM on Dec. 18, 2013