I have no idea what healthy foods my daughter will eat can you help?

She is 10 years old and is really into gymnastics, but fruits and vegetables seem to have left her vocabulary. I tried to feed her oranges and bananas, but she won't budge. I need help trying to figure out what healthy foods she will eat.

soccermom2393

Asked by soccermom2393 at 10:04 PM on Dec. 17, 2013 in Kids' Health

• Ask her!!! Take her shopping with you, have her look up nutritional needs for gymnasts for ideas... involve her!!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• she's 10, can't she tell you what she likes?

apples? carrots? broccoli? pears?...
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 10:10 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• My 11 year old and I pick out fruits together. She loves apples and likes to try different kinds. Veggies are a different story...she hates them, so I just ask her to try whatever I make for dinner.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 10:16 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• If you just plunk stuff down in front of her, she probably won't cooperate with you. If you involve her in choosing what to eat at the store, looking up facts about foods on the Internet or at the library, finding recipes, researching what foods will be good for her, etc, she might really get on a nutrition kick and start eating like a health nut.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 10:43 PM on Dec. 17, 2013

• She can only eat what you have in the house you know. If the only food in the house is healthy, there are no other choices.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2013

• So for the past 9 years you haven't fed her anything healthy?
    Parent fail.
    PartyGalAnne

Answer by PartyGalAnne at 1:19 AM on Dec. 18, 2013

• what does she like to eat? There is always a healthier alternative or a way to improve a meal. You could always have a buffet-style dinner night with many healthy options along with options she already likes, but encourage her to try ONE portion of ONE veggie/fruit. Start small. Does she like ice cream? You could always start the sweet way and make peach cobbler or a warm gooey apple pie. Just some suggestions lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:16 AM on Jan. 1, 2014

• Discuss this with your child and your child's pediatrician. But also know it is your job to provide the food her job to eat them. It does happen, but rarely the case, when a child won't eventually eat what you put before them. They made hold out for a little while but eventually it will happen. I have a child with texture issues, he limits himself tons, and he eats very few fruits and vegetables. It is a work in progress but he is completely healthy and I know because I requested lab work at his yearly check up. I put lots of vegetables in his foods without straight up making a big deal of it. His pancakes are from almond flour with pumpkin added or sweet potatoes. I have banana muffins with almond flour. I use organic peanut butter mixed with almond-butter for more protein. I give him squeeze pouches with fruit puree. I put pureed carrots in his spaghetti-o's and make sure his protein bars have fruit in them.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:30 PM on Jan. 1, 2014

• Lots of ways to do this. I started small since my son was all about not eating textures that felt bad to him. I make small changes and introduce them slowly. My main thing I remember is I can't force him, I won't yell or argue with him, I won't make this about power and control, but I will simply do my parental duty and buy/prepare/present what I want to go into his body...I hope. Then it is his job to do it. If he doesn't then it is seriously a long time before the next meal. No snacks between is my rule for our house. Only to keep him from getting his stomach full before a meal. I also let him help cook. Having him shop with me helps too. I try not to place too much importance on eating because I suspect he is at risk for an eating disorder later in life. We have spent time in eating therapy. My best advice is just know you are in charge of buying and preparing while her job is to eat (or not eat).
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:35 PM on Jan. 1, 2014

• She's 10, take her to the store and have her pick out a vegetable and fruit that she will eat every time you go shopping. Not one of can tell you what she will or will not eat, that is up to HER.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 6:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2014