Trying to stay away from the ordinary this Christmas..

I would like to make something different for Christmas dinner this year. No turkey, ham, prime rib, or lasagna.. I was leaning towards seafood but it's hard to find here and very expensive.

any other ideas for something different and delicious? Thanks!

anestheticsex

Asked by anestheticsex at 11:07 AM on Dec. 18, 2013 in Food & Drink

• Chinese

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 11:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Do you guys like Mexican food? One year I made enchiladas, posole, tamales and all the fixings for Christmas dinner and it was a big hit.
    Brawn

Answer by Brawn at 11:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2013

• My grandma's trick - make 2 smaller roasts, one pork, one beef, in the same roasting pan. Otherwise you make it the same way, potatoes/onions/carrots in the pan, gravy from the drippings. The flavor it gets from both meats makes amazing gravy and veggies, and people can choose whichever they prefer when it's sliced up.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:15 AM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Duck
    Lobster
    Venison
    Vegetarian
    Indian
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:16 AM on Dec. 18, 2013

• I've done a really yummy green chicken chili with tamales, and occasionally I'll make flemish beef stew with au gratin potatoes and roasted asparagus.

I rarely do a dinner anymore. On Christmas Eve I make all of our family's favorite appetizers, baby burritos with guacamole, sausage balls, spinach artichoke dip with sourdough toasts, hummus with mushroom topping and pita bread, bbq sausages, stuffed mushrooms, cheeseball and crackers, a veggie platter and a fruit platter.

Christmas morning I do brunch, oven french toast, baked eggs, ham, tamales and fresh fruit.

For the rest of the day it's open house and people just drop by as they're available, so we reheat leftover appetizers, ham with rolls, veggie and fruit platter.

It's made Christmas day so much more relaxing for me, and it makes it easy for people who have multiple holiday stops...no set dinner time.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 11:21 AM on Dec. 18, 2013

• It might be fun to do something that another culture might consider the tradition for the holidays. I don't know any examples, but I bet google does!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 18, 2013

• We spend the day with my mom and do finger foods - horsdoevres and desserts so nobody has to spend the day in the kitchen cooking and/or cleaning up. Usually we have ham biscuits, sausage balls, cheese and crackers, chips and veggies with dips, crockpot chili, fudge, cookies, etc

Answer by missanc at 12:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• My grandma does prime rib, twice baked potatoes, a few veggies, a fruit salad. Brisket is yummy too.
    skinnyslokita

Answer by skinnyslokita at 12:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2013