Being Interfaith Literate

Because it's helpful to remind people every now and then.

What are some ways you believe people could be more interfaith literate?

bandgeek521

Asked by bandgeek521 at 11:44 AM on Dec. 18, 2013 in Religion & Beliefs

• I take it you didn't read the link

Of course not, then she'd have to admit to following me around and trying to derail all my questions on the subject.

It's interesting because the usual round and round again argument about "pagan" was fired up again this morning, though more civilly than the last round earlier this year.  I think the biggest issue is still assumptions - coming into a discussion thinking everyone is Christian or atheist by default (or everyone is Eclectic, or everyone is Abrahamic, etc)

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 2:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• I do not think they rally have to be. As long as you understand that everyone is free to practice (or not) what ever faith they choose.
    There is no requirement for studying anyone else's faith unless you happen to be interested. That too is freedom of religion.
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:53 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Be patient cause you will be tested. ;-)
    virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 1:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• If one chooses to be part of a discussion where different faiths are represented, then basic manners should be practiced. Basic manners ought to be practiced in everyday life anyway, but that seems to be asking too much from people in general. Beyond basic manners, it is helpful to know at least the elementary principles of the faiths being discussed--who the deity is, what the rudimentary beliefs are, how the deity is approached, etc. Otherwise there really can be no intelligent conversation.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• I take it you didn't read the link - it was more about being respectful in discussion where there are different faiths represented.
    bandgeek521

Comment by bandgeek521 (original poster) at 12:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2013