What would you look for in a birth center? or in general for your birth attendant?

I'm working toward getting my CNM and it seems like a good compromise because I know that many women who hire midwives are looking for more home like and out of hospital births. Several of the local hospitals would still allow me to have privileges as long as strict standards are followed for transfer and with privileges I could follow a patient to the hospital. Having a center rather then going out to people's homes would allow better access to emergency equipment if needed.

But those kind of details aside what is important to you in a birth center if you were to use one? Or honestly what kind of things would you look for in considering a birth attendant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on Dec. 18, 2013 in Pregnancy

• I was more concerned about my midwife listening to ME and my wishes for my labor and delivery. Don't push your wants and needs but listen to the woman (as long as no emergency is there). My first midwife (for my 3rd son) had more of an OB/GYN attitude and that is not what I wanted, I had an OB before that was great, if I wanted an OB then I would have went back to him.

The midwife I had for delivery trusted that I knew my body and she believed me when I told her things.... funny thing is, it all happened like I said it would, and it all progressed perfectly, because I had an attendent that listened to me....
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:40 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• What AmazingGrace said.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:09 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• I want someone that Really Listens to me (asks questions and takes my replies to heart), works with me & my fears-concerns, values my interests, and wants to educate me.
    I want a very hands-off, non-intervention style of maternity care. I like when MWs knit in the corner secretly watching mama (so she feels independent) but the MW is nearby & at-attention as needed.

I want empowerment, support, kindness, compassion, patience, strength and wisdom from my attendants.
    And I want to labor and deliver in a facility that promotes that.
    My birth center should feel like home- REALLY. I want to be comfortable to go from room to room naked in labor or holding my NB postpartum. I want access to the kitchen (to eat whatever of course!). I want my family to be made comfortable, too. We are not only there for however long during labor, but for all the many hours over the months of prenatal appts.

:-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:40 AM on Dec. 23, 2013

• I would look for experience
    escuchar

Answer by escuchar at 8:29 PM on Mar. 24, 2014