When looking for a non-upholstered piece of furniture,do you buy new,or get something used?

I like to find used (cheap) items and paint and customize them myself.
I found a wheeled nightstand with a drawer for $5 and painted it. My son's dresser was $25 at Goodwill. I painted that as well. The old pieces are actually made of WOOD,not particle board like the new and expensive crap now.
My next project will be a dining set.

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 18, 2013 in Home & Garden

• I just saw a set of 6 dining chairs out for the garbage by a neighbor down the corner that all I had to do was pop out the seats, put new fabric & paint. I went to pick up something at the drug store & came back & they were gone. I could kick myself for not stopping right away! I love to repaint & redo.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• When I had a little more crafting room, I liked to refinish items. I also like the solid furniture, I like to paint and do interesting things with used items.
    I also like new. It just depends. DH likes new but ends up liking what I do. LOL
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 12:48 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• When it comes to non-upholstered, thrift stores are my best friends!
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 1:56 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Oh, and I'm not so much into painting and refinishing, obviously, but I hate, loathe, and despise particle board. If I ever have money to spare, my daydream is to have a solid wood office suite set for my computer and stuff that I use to do my home business, since I spend so much time sitting there. Smooth, real wood, the kind that almost makes you have an orgasm to run your hands over ... okay, I know, I'm getting carried away, but it's just the feeling of it. Still, it's no better than a daydream, and besides, when you have little ones, somebody's always knocking over your coffee cup or her Kool-Ade anyway.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:01 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• ooh! I would have been drooling!

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 1:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Oh,I hear ya on that one,ballad.
    I fell in love with my solid ash wood bedroom dresser when I saw it.

Comment by butterflyblue19 (original poster) at 2:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2013