School and "unexcused" absences

How many "unexcused"(meaning no doctors note) is your child allowed each school year?

On a side note, do you take your child to the doctor everytime(most of the time etc) when they miss school, say because of a virus with a fever or vomitting? Something that you know there is nothing the doc can do except everything you are doing at home but precludes your child from attending school(not fever free for 24hr, vomitted last 24 hr etc)?

Just curious.

tntmom1027

Asked by tntmom1027 at 1:51 PM on Dec. 18, 2013 in General Parenting

• Are you sure that you understand "unexcused"? In our area it is without notification from parent (call to attendance office) and note follow up when return to school. or prearranged absences. A doctors note is only required after 3rd day in row missed.
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 1:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• My son's school allows 10 days per year (which is a joke) One bout of the flu can put a kid out for half that.
    Between the stomach virus he had the 2nd week of school,and his surgery,he's already been out 7 days
    I think it's ridiculous to expect parents to take a kid to the doctor, that is miserable with a virus.. Especially like you mentioned,when the doc will say rest,Tylenol,and fluids.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Oh,and no unexcused days are allowed

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:58 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Here they call days where you don't have a docs note "unexcused". My son got a bad virus from school of course that lingered on. I would get him feeling better and without a fever(unmedicated) for about half a day and then bam fever again and no school as it wouldn't be 24 hrs. This went on for a week. It was 6 school days.

And I guess I should have taken him in on the 3 rd day perhaps but I would have only gotten told to keep doing what I was doing. Then again he would have had a note lol

Same thing here Butterfly 10 days without doc note. And not having a car I would have to bundle him up walk him to the bus(risk infecting innocent bystanders lol) and repeat once we are finished with the pointless doctors appt. Unless I was able to get a ride from the few friends we have here that do have cars(new to area).
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• We're in the same boat. We have 1 car,and DH takes it to work. A doctor's visit means 45 minutes of a bus ride,each way. Sit in the waiting room for a half hour,and all for a 5 minute appointment

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:11 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• I think, back when I was going to high school, we were allowed up to 3 days of "unexcused" absences, and I think up to 20 days of excused absences. It was only "unexcused" when the child was healthy enough to attend school, but the family was going on a vacation or something. Probably for those skipping classes as well. Our Senior Skip Day was counted as an unexcused absence, and therefore, I went to school that day because I wanted to go to College Days at the college I would later attend, which was also considered unexcused.

I never had doctor's notes growing up, just a note from mom saying I was sick.

When my kids were going to private school, all I had to do was give their school a call and say they weren't feeling well.

Now that they are homeschooled, well, it doesn't matter.
    hopeandglory53

Answer by hopeandglory53 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• unexcused here means if they're out for a snotty nose and I keep dd home then send a note. excused is if she's out with a fever, with a note from me, or the doctor. I don't run my kids to the doctor every time they get the sniffles. I think they're allowed 5 unexcused here.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 2:17 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• I'm not sure how many unexcused days are allowed, but a note from parents is all that's required for an excused absence here. I don't take mine to the dr for colds unless they seem to be lingering or for stomach bugs unless they are vomiting for more than 24-36 hours.

Answer by missanc at 2:18 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• hopeandglory53...things like this make me think again about homeschooling. We decided to enroll in school and see how it went, if we weren't happy we would homeschool with no problem. I don't like feeling as if I don't have control over my child..though I get that there are many(including my neighbor) who just don't send their child to school because they(the parents) don't feel like taking them so I see the other side.

But I'm also not happy that(even though it is a large part my son's fault) my son went missing a second time for 5 mins, but at least this last time it was noticed and they went looking for him. The last time(friday I believe) the teacher didn't even notice he was missing on the walk to Computers until he arrived at computers by himself five minutes later, and she didn't know he wasn't with her when I came to pick him up(walked from Computers to meet up area) and he arrived a few seconds after I went looking.
    tntmom1027

Comment by tntmom1027 (original poster) at 2:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• I told the school to eat my shorts when they told me it was 5 days.... My son went elk hunting (7 day hunt) and they tried to refer me to CPS. I don't handle crap like that well. I will send him to school when I feel like it.
    amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 2:22 PM on Dec. 18, 2013