Not really a question..but still would like to get it out there!

My son is a very picky eater, and yes part of that is my fault. He does have a problem with certain textures they make him vomit but in general hes more of a vegetarian but he prefers hot dogs and corn dogs and chicken fingers. now i hand make my corn dogs and chicken fingers so they are healthier and of course pizza, this is just a bit of background... for years my son would only eat cheese tacos (cold cheese he doesnt like it melty) the other day he eats his one cheese taco and says mommy im still hungry so i say why dont you try some of the chicken taco meat that we were having (chicken tacos rock!) and he takes a small bite and says he likes it so i put it on a taco with cheese. so the meat is hot and it makes the cheese melt and i think oh great hes never going to eat chicken tacos again cause i can see him struggling with the melty cheese he asks me about halfway through the cheesy chicken taco "mommy if i finish this taco can i have another one? im still hungry" so i say sure if you finish it you can have another (me believing he wont eat it all) he does and I ask him if hes sure he wants another and he says "just dont put cheese on it i dont like melty cheese) and sure enough he eats a third very small taco (his tacos are usually equivalent to less than a 1/2 of a grown up taco) with only meat and me im having a heart attack cause my nearly vegan son ate 2 chicken tacos!! yeah me!!

so i just wanted to celebrate the step forward we have made in his diet and i swear we all acted like the world was ending, the boy ate something other than corn dogs!!!

yeah its been a good week!

elananme

Asked by elananme at 2:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2013 in Tweens (9-12)

• p.s. hes nine!
    elananme

Comment by elananme (original poster) at 2:27 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Good Job!
    AuntieV

Answer by AuntieV at 2:33 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• My 13 and 16 yo's were very picky as kids (autism and sensory issues), but around that age they started branching out and trying new things. Now they eat anything put in front of them and are more adventurous eaters than many adults I know. I never made a big deal about it, but I never made them a 2nd meal either. I think that's a good age for growing out of some pickiness. Yay!

Answer by missanc at 2:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• I think any time a child grows it's good. Slowly introduce foods to him. I think that he's most likely really starting to grow and is realizing that he needs more to fill him up.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 2:37 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Kids change their eating habbits as they grow up.

Answer by louise2 at 2:38 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Right on! My daughter wouldn't eat meat for the longest time when she was small, but she grew out of it slowly at her own pace. I don't know if it was a texture thing or what, but it just changed over time on its own.
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 2:52 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• dancing

That's awesome! Good for you guys not making a huge deal out it, and drawing attention to him trying new foods.

Rosehawk

Answer by Rosehawk at 3:32 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Cool that he took the lead. And good job being responsive to him!

I totally understand why you would want to share this!!
    girlwithC

Answer by girlwithC at 6:12 AM on Dec. 19, 2013