Have you ever had a negative reaction to a thoughtful gift you've given?

I gave my grandma a parakeet for Mother's Day in 2008
A few weeks before,she had been recounting how she used to have canaries,and how nice it was to hear them in the morning
I was thinking,well canaries are $150 so that idea is out,but a parakeet is sweet too
She acted all happy when I gave him to her.
A week later,I go over there and his cage is on the floor,in the corner,covered with a towel.
I thought he died!
my mom said she was just about to call me. My Grandma told her to get rid of that "thing" or she was going to let it go free outside.
Apparently as soon as I left,she had gone on a rant about why would she want something like that? That it was the stupidest gift she had ever gotten
That birdie is now home with me. Happy and almost 6 years old

Asked by butterflyblue19 at 3:16 PM on Dec. 18, 2013 in Just for Fun

• i had one just like yours
    mine was called Elvis
    co workers gave to me
    i thought privately, why in the world would they do this
    but soon i loved him
    he was wonderful
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 3:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Awe....how sad for the little birdie! He looks happy as a clam now though! He is adorable! You are a good Mama!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:20 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Last year, my brother made a rude joke about my wrapping/packaging choices. I used brown paper bags that I decorated with ribbon and tissue paper flowers. I didn't see the need to go buy wrapping paper when it was going to be ripped off anyways. Apparently, he doesn't appreciate resourcefulness.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 3:26 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

•  

Ballard I think what she did was totally out of line. I have almost all the cards my kids have ever made me and the oldest is 28!. I love homemade things for special dates. To this day I tell my dd's that I'd prefer a homemade card/gift from my gk's instead of buying me a gift. They're so much more special. Hugs

hugging

baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 4:14 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• well, i just gave the broke neighbor with a million kids a nice sized tin of 4 different varieties of homemade cookies and she didn't even say thank you. and i know it has nothing to do with disliking junkfood because that's all she feeds her kids. ungrateful bitch
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:29 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• I have a family member that rarely likes the gifts that she gets, but I keep trying.

On the other hand, I probably wouldn't buy an animal for anyone as a surprise, even if I knew they'd previously loved the same kind of pet. Animals are a lot of work, and a lot of extra expense, so I'd be very cautious about giving them.

I'm sorry that your grandmother didn't want the gift.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 3:30 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• I gave my mother a hand crocheted blanket one year for Christmas..I know she appreciated it but my brother looked at it and told me I needed to get a life.
    chocolatluver

Answer by chocolatluver at 3:36 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• First off I'd never give any living creature to anyone unless I had actually asked one if they wanted one. A paraket is not a canary. It's like asking for a lap dog and someone giving you a St Bernard. It could also be that she was simply remembering the good times but no longer would want to deal with handling one daily. Perhaps a better present would have been tickets to a bird airey (sp?)

Often I would give my daughters clothes that they had picked out earlier in a store and when they got it at Christmas I would never see them wear them. I don't know how many I would give away or yard sale that still had the partial tags on them. When I asked them why they would say they didn't like them but not want to hurt my feelings. DUH....THEY picked them out in the store. Now they get stuff for their homes or gift certificates.
    baconbits

Answer by baconbits at 3:41 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• Wow, Ballad, I can't imagine saying anything like that to my child about a card they made. That says something about your mother.

And as for your brother and the banana bread. I love homemade gifts the best. Anyone can buy things, but to take the time to make them is extra special to me.

Hugs.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 4:08 PM on Dec. 18, 2013

• People suck.

As to birds, having done a lot with rescue, Christmas and Mother's Day are the worst holidays for birds. Shelters are always overflowing with them, particularly after Mother's Day, it's very sad, an there's no way to count how many freeze to death, starve, or end up as cat food because people let them free outside. A lot of people buy pet birds for their moms, thinking, "aw, she'll love this" and it's the last thing Mom wants. Always check. Birds are a lot of work, a lot of mess, and a lot of noise, even though they can be a ton of fun and a ton of joy. I wouldn't be in a house without them, but many people couldn't live with them.

And did I mention people suck?
    Ballad

Answer by Ballad at 4:13 PM on Dec. 18, 2013